Missing letters when printing PDF created using Save As PDF

J

Jesse C

I have had several users report issues printing PDF's since upgrading to
Office 2007 SP2 when using the Word 2007 Save as PDF feature. When printing
a PDF from Adobe Acrobat 8.1 there are letters missing, usually t's, f's, or
i's. And to clarify, this is using the Save as PDF feature that is built
into Word 2007 SP2, not the Acrobat Save to PDF function.

Has anybody else noticed this issue or have any ideas how to fix it?

Reaction score
Yes. I'm having the same problem too with "save as PDF" printed from Adobe reader 9. No idea what is going on or how to fix this one though sorry.

Reaction score
Had exactly the same problem for a while, and noted the same behaviour below on a few different computer and printer combinations. What I've noticed is:
  • Microsoft Office's Save-As-PDF generated PDF (the MS engine, not the Adober PDFMaker)
  • the PDF documents open fine in Acrobat (I'm using v9 Pro). All characters show up in the on-screen viewing of the document.
  • Print it using a non-postscript driver to the printer and some characters are missing
  • Print it using exactly the same computer, printer and application, instead this time choose a logical printer with Postscript drivers (but the same physical printer), and bingo it prints OK.
  • if I print the original office document straight from the MS Office application (say Word) to the printer, then it will print fine with the PCL, or Samsung SCX-4x16 or whatever driver, with PS too.
  • I save from Word using Acrobat's PDFMaker and then try to print using PCL or SCX-4x16 or whatever driver connection from Acrobat, all fine.
It seems to me that it is the combination of the Microsoft Save-As-PDF engine, plus a non-postscript printer driver that is at fault here. But that is not conclusively proven in my tests ... just my hunch based on my limited, and frustrating, experience.

Good luck.

Ask a Question