Microsoft bringing new 'Game Mode' to Windows 10

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Data in a recent leak suggests that Microsoft will be introducing a new 'gaming mode' to Windows 10 which minimises other resources and therefore allows the game to run better and faster. Windows Central reports:

Microsoft is working on a brand new "Game Mode" feature for Windows 10 that will enhance the PC gaming experience by minimizing resources used by running apps to almost nothing and allocating freed up resources to the game, making it run faster, better and smoother overall.

This new feature was first spotted by WalkingCat in the recently leaked build 14997, and although it isn't working yet, we understand it's a feature that will be showing up for Insiders very soon, as it's something that's set to arrive with the Creators Update.

Read more here.

Reaction score
Are they expecting some sort of congratulations for enabling this in the future or something. In my eyes their Apps and other garbage running in the background should be readily disabled at EUL anyway.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"gaming mode" ... hit the start button.

sharepopcorn.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If Microsoft just paid heed to one word 'choice' they sure would make a lot of friends.

Foremost amongst choices would be the ability to uninstall Cortana or at least turn it off. Ditto 'Edge'.

If they did go ahead and introduce a 'game' mode it may be tantamount to them admitting there's a lot of crap going on in the background to Win 10 that needn't be.

But I suspect most of us knew that already.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Even, nice link, but that means messing with registry hacks if not using Pro or Enterprise, plus, it only disables Cortana.

I did follow instructions on the Pro side, but it would be nice if "we" could just please ourselves if we want all this crap or not.

I spend more time "fixing" my system from MS's interference than I do from protecting it from the internet.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'll be running 'Gaming Mode' from boot up. :lol:

gamer.gif

Ask a Question