Microscopic font and failure to print

C

CH

I've seen this in more than one build of Vista. It wants to default to shrink to page if you print preview and if you don't correct manaually to 100%, it will give you tiny print. I wish it were that simple because some of the time it won't print and rarely when I manually correct it will print normally. I don't know what brings it and I don't know what fixes it. I've taken the printer apart for page jams, ect.

I'm printing with a Brother HL 5140 and have had this problem before with Vista.

I can sometimes work around it if I print preview, but of course I shouldn't need to. If you print from Win Mail, you aren't able to print preview anyway. I get Micromini printing. This is an unusual problem, and I don't see it on my XP boot and have never seen it in Windows. I've been all over every printer property options,and I can't find a setting to stop this. We're talking print so small that it is barely legible.

Curiously if I print from File>Print and print preview from web based mail accounts like Yahoo, I can use the workaround and reset the "shrink to page" that it's defaulting to and causing the microfont to print 1/10 times. Otherwise 4/10 times it prints in micro font and the other 5 times no message is sent to the printer.

I have the port set at virtual USB2--Vista was defaulting to LPT1 for the first few builds and aenough of us complained to the print team that default got switched to Virtual USB 2 which I hope will make more drivers that worked in XP work in Vista. Unfortunately UAC breaks a number of Scanner drivers.

When I manually print a test page the font is normal.

Any help much appreciated. I can try reinstalling the driver that seems to be working eratically.

Thanks,

CH

A

Alan Simpson

Each program has its own Print Preview, it's not feature of the OS. Most Print Previews initially show at full page size, so you can see the margins and such. If you can change the default Print Preview size, it would be in the program in which you're using Print Preview, not the OS. The OS is out-of-the-loop on all the different Print Previews of the world.

I've seen this in more than one build of Vista. It wants to default to shrink to page if you print preview and if you don't correct manaually to 100%, it will give you tiny print. I wish it were that simple because some of the time it won't print and rarely when I manually correct it will print normally. I don't know what brings it and I don't know what fixes it. I've taken the printer apart for page jams, ect.

I'm printing with a Brother HL 5140 and have had this problem before with Vista.

I can sometimes work around it if I print preview, but of course I shouldn't need to. If you print from Win Mail, you aren't able to print preview anyway. I get Micromini printing. This is an unusual problem, and I don't see it on my XP boot and have never seen it in Windows. I've been all over every printer property options,and I can't find a setting to stop this. We're talking print so small that it is barely legible.

Curiously if I print from File>Print and print preview from web based mail accounts like Yahoo, I can use the workaround and reset the "shrink to page" that it's defaulting to and causing the microfont to print 1/10 times. Otherwise 4/10 times it prints in micro font and the other 5 times no message is sent to the printer.

I have the port set at virtual USB2--Vista was defaulting to LPT1 for the first few builds and aenough of us complained to the print team that default got switched to Virtual USB 2 which I hope will make more drivers that worked in XP work in Vista. Unfortunately UAC breaks a number of Scanner drivers.

Any help much appreciated. I can try reinstalling the driver that seems to be working eratically.

Thanks,

CH

C

CH

Alan this is an interesting point and I appreciate that Print Preview is divorced from the OS, and I often learn from your posts and books. But this doesn't address the core of the problem.

The problem is the ***%@ thing is out of the blue defaulting to a font that is so tiny it is about 1/10 the size of this and when I hit print preview in almost any venue I do it to correct the font to 100% and it has defaulted to "shrink to fit page" which is absurd because it's shrinking to a patently microscopic size. In other words if I were to put it under a microscope I could get it to normal by using one of the lens.

I can see and make out the words, but barely and it is nothing you would hand anyone to read.
I am also having a high frequency that it won't print which may be related to the printer cartridge getting low in ink although usually that shows as lightening and when it will consent to print a test page the test or print the printing is clear and the usual darkness.

Thanks,

CH
Each program has its own Print Preview, it's not feature of the OS. Most Print Previews initially show at full page size, so you can see the margins and such. If you can change the default Print Preview size, it would be in the program in which you're using Print Preview, not the OS. The OS is out-of-the-loop on all the different Print Previews of the world.

Thanks,

CH

C

Clueless

What program?

Alan this is an interesting point and I appreciate that Print Preview is divorced from the OS, and I often learn from your posts and books. But this doesn't address the core of the problem.

The problem is the ***%@ thing is out of the blue defaulting to a font that is so tiny it is about 1/10 the size of this and when I hit print preview in almost any venue I do it to correct the font to 100% and it has defaulted to "shrink to fit page" which is absurd because it's shrinking to a patently microscopic size. In other words if I were to put it under a microscope I could get it to normal by using one of the lens.

I can see and make out the words, but barely and it is nothing you would hand anyone to read.
I am also having a high frequency that it won't print which may be related to the printer cartridge getting low in ink although usually that shows as lightening and when it will consent to print a test page the test or print the printing is clear and the usual darkness.

Thanks,

CH

Thanks,

CH

C

CH

Clueless--

It is printing in general. It doesn't matter whether it's within a program or not. It doesn't matter whether it is from web based email, Wordmail in OL, or anywhere else. I now believe it's because I need a new print cartridge. I talked with Brother and they see this behavior when you're low or out.

The confusing history is, I've seen it do this before months ago but maybe I was low and now I'm out. I should know when I pick up a new cartridge. The failure to print in this printer will be triggered by a low cartridge because it won't allow the paper to load. In my HP printer in contrast, the paper will load and just print errartically or light.

I'm interested to see what happens with a new cartridge.

Thanks,

CH
What program?

Thanks,

CH

Thanks,

CH

A

Alan Simpson

Looks like you got this resolved.

Thanks,

CH

Thanks,

CH

Ask a Question