Microchip Photography

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Art can be found in the most unlikely of places: It seems that even the microchip can be a miniature art gallery. Michael Davidson, a cell biology researcher with an interest in taking micrographs (images taken through a microscope), discovered the miniscule pictures by accident when attempting to capture the "beauty of the microchip" on film. Since doing so, he has hunted down as many as he can find - a collection that Davidson has affectionately called the Silicon Zoo (as many of the pictures are of animals). The pictures are miniscule, with some of the largest ones still only reaching 1 millimeter in length.

According to Davidson, the chips made by HP offer the most silicon art, whereas those of Intel have hardly any at all. It seems that the Artists have to be very secretive about their doodlings, since many companies forbid it.

Silicon graffiti may be a dying art, but it is one that is still appreciated.

See the full article and pictures at C Net

Attachments

• Chip Art.jpg
    Chip Art.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,031
Reaction score
Thats cool.
Ive handled thousands of chips at the electronics manufaturing plant and didnt know this.
Some of the chips were from these places.
I wonder what the top secret chips had on the millitary stuff.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, some of those images are great! Must be a pretty powerful microscope to do that :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I was amazed when I saw them, I thought the Intel one was quite clever ;)

Ask a Question