Micro Direct Disgrace

Reaction score
I have only used MD a few times but have no complaints at all.
Would use them more if free delivery was available (a la Scan).

Reaction score
I'd used them previously as well, several times. Regrettably, that's the point. They're fine until something goes wrong, and with anything of a technical nature it's only a matter of time until you get somthing that's faulty. Then you see how hideous their customer service department is.

I'm glad that your experiences with them have been good, but there are 15 pages in this topic suggesting that continued use is likely to change your luck. I'll not be shopping with them again, and the majority of people who've had faulty merchandise from them would say the same.

Reaction score
Fair enough, and I'm not defending MD but I would say this.........

Posting a thread critising a store (any store) and I would say that 15 pages in 4 years isn't bad.

The likes of Mesh/Overgangsters are worth that for a one day thread such is their customer service
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I'm not saying they're the worst in the world ( I did eventually get my refund), but I am saying I'd recommend going elsewhere. And it's not just here. Look at any other review site with them on and you'll see hideous reviews.

Never tried the two you mentioned, but appreciate the heads-up.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Like vaio I've used MD a few times without a problem....but as you say the proof of a good company is when you get a problem and how they deal with it
nod.gif

Oh yes - I personally would avoid MESH like the plague ;)

Reaction score
Very bad service Eee PC 900

Ordered Eee PC 900 Windows version. They then sent me the lunix version without telling me, thinking that I would take it. I then sent it back and it took them 30 days to refund me £350. They know that they can do this and nothing you can do till after one month.
Emails and telephone calls and all the time doing this drove me mad.

WILL NEVER ORDER FROM
MICRODIRECT AGAIN
ROGUE TRADERS

Reaction score
This company, (Micro Direct),seem to ignore 'Distance Selling regulations' and all other legislation designed to make buying on the internet safe.

I was sold a faulty internal card reader by them, into which some cards could not even be inserted. When it was returned to them as faulty they charged me a re-stocking fee and have not given me a full refund. They have ignored my emails and in line with the recommendations as laid down by Consumer Direct two official letters sent by recorded delivery.

If you have any problems with this company please contact BBC Watchdog. If sufficient people complain we should get 'air time' on this program.

Reaction score
I am currently struggling with Microdirect over a faulty Tagan Power Supply. Could you please post the directors details so that I can make THEM aware that I am still waiting for my power supply to be replaced.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
riffraff said:
I am currently struggling with Microdirect over a faulty Tagan Power Supply. Could you please post the directors details so that I can make THEM aware that I am still waiting for my power supply to be replaced.

We are only a bunch of individuals running a forum.

If you want the directors details, use Google and look at Company House, for all the good it will do you.

Reaction score
Rogue Traders (Micro Direct)

Hi fellow sufferers.

If you have any problems with this company, please contact BBC TV 'WATCHDOG'. If enough people do this we can 'nail' this company....

Good luck
David.

Reaction score
Sorry floppybootstomp but I was responding to a posting by purplepomegranite who said he had the details. I had failed to noticethat he had posted this on Aug 2004.

Just shows for how long Microdirect have been ripping people off!

Reaction score
Success at long last!

I am pleased to say that after many telephone hours speaking to Microdirect and both the Manchester Trading Standards, and also my local Trading Standards; I have finally got my Tagan Power Supply replaced. I discovered by accident that Tagan is a trading division of a German Company. Further that another IT trading division of the German Company existed in The UK. It was called Nanopoint and apart from selling their own products act as Tagan’s representative in the UK. They said that if I had sent my PSU back to them they would have replaced it within a week! This gave me much ammunition to use with Microdirect when I had asked why I was in my eighth week awaiting a PSU.

I finally gave Microdirect what is known as a "seven day letter". This demanded a replacement or a refund within seven days or I would issue proceedings in my local county court. Companies sued in a small claims court have to be legally represented and cannot claim costs. Private individuals can represent themselves at no cost. Therefore the company is in a lose – lose situation.

I demonstrated that the wait had been so long as to be outside the provisions of the Sale of Goods Acts of 1979 and as amended in 1982, 1994, 2002 and 2003.

I am not a legal eagle or expert of any kind but I can use Google!

I also pointed out that in the event of non-compliance I would update my local trading standards on my lack of progress, issue a claim in the small claims court and talk to my credit card company querying if they were an appropriate business to deal with. The Americans at the time of Vietnam said of The Vietnamese "Grab them by the balls and their hearts are sure to follow!" An Online Mail Order business depends on credit card issuer relationships.

At that point a lot of progress was made, but the credit note offered was inadequate and I needed to demonstrate greater resolve.

I believed that they were fighting a war of attrition and hoping to wear me down into giving up or settling for less than I should.

That’s why I made sure that they knew that I knew the law, and that any deficiencies I had were being made good by Trading Standards. I further had to let them know I wasn’t going to delay further.

So I contacted them again and let them know that I also knew about Trading Disclosures provisions of the Companies Act of 2006 which came into force on the 1st October 2008. This means that companies must also state not only on paper but also in emails their Limited Company Name, Limited Company Number and where the company was registered. Companies can change their names but NOT their Registration Numbers; so if your action includes that and you get judgment they cannot wriggle out.

The other important step was to ensure I got the name of the guy I spoke to on the first occasion and to always ask for him by name. This ensures continuity and adds to the psychological pressure on him.

Should you have to take them to court their details are Registered number: 02879831. Registered office: 275a Upper Brook Street, Manchester, M13 0HR, UK

I am not a miracle worker, just determined. I have laid out my experience at length in the hope the above may help someone else.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not sure about theVietnam War comparison, lol, but congratulations to you mr riffraff, well done.

Just goes to show what a little determination can do.

And of course microdirect are still on my bad list.

I remember a fair few computer magazines used to recommend microdirect, I wonder if they still do? Obviously cash crossing palms to get those recommendations.

Ask a Question