Micro Direct Disgrace

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a noob when it comes to online shopping, I buy all my CD's, DVD's, Consoles and Console games from the Internet.

So i thought i would try my hand at finding a nice cheap Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, I used magazines and www.kelkoo.co.uk to try and find the cheapest around. After all that i stumbled across Micro Direct ( www.microdirect.com.uk ), they had a Radeon 9800 Pro made by Ati for an amazing £136.89 inc VAT. I was truely stunned, one of the best cards on the market, made by the official manafacturer for a baragin basement price! So i ordered it asap!

Well that was 3 weeks ago -_-. I rang them up after it didnt come in the 3 day delivery period (what i paid £6 for) and they said, its at the Amtrak (the delivery company) warehouse in leicester because the address was wrong. So i though i must have been hastey and made an error, so i checked and noticed my postcode and everything was right except the street address. They had made one up by the looks of it! So i rang them up and they said i would have to pay £15 to have it redirected from the Amtrak warehouse to my address, so i thought well the card was cheap anyway, i'll just pay the £15 and that'll be it. Well i waited another 5 days and it still didnt come, so i rang them again. This time they had sent it to STOKE :|. Now i live in Leicester not Stoke! They said someone had signed for it in Stoke, so i told them they better get there act together and get it back and delivered to this address within 3 days. They said they'd refund my £15 for redirection and get the card to me within 3 days. Another 3 days past and not a thing, so i rang them up agian and this time they said its still in Stoke awaiting pick up, i was seeing red by this time and went abit crazy. So i thought fu*k it and canceled it and asked for ALL my money back, they said no problem. I gave them 5 days to pay th money back and its still not in the bank. I rang them again and they said i cant have my money back till they get the card back, well the card is apparently still in Stoke, and they have all my money!

I rang them up yesterday they said the card was on its way back to Micro Direct, my Mum rang up about 10 minutes after me and they said the money is being paid back as they spoke, then my dad rang up about 2 hours later and they said the card was in Leicester =/ .

So its pretty obvious there lying, so it looks as if im gonna have to go all the way to Manchester and either take the card form them then and there or take my money back.

I will be posting back to tell you what happened, and how many people i killed.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had 2 friends buy that exact same card within the last week from Micro Direct, and they've both received it straight away. I'm not sure who the problem is with, but I think it could be with the delivery company this time :(

Reaction score
amtrak are shocking! time/tiny computers use them which will explain alot!!!!

reef, microdirect are usually excellent, i spend a lot of money in there and have a lot of gear delivered, never had any probs.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've used Microdirect once, no probs.

Amtrack are useless, a nightmare.

However, the ultimate responsibility lies with MicroDirect directly to their customers, imo, and they chose to use Amtrack, it really is no excuse on their part to mess a customer around cos they chose a crap Courier service.

No excuse at all, it's their problem, not yours.

I've had lots of problems with Amtrack in the past, in fact I often ask a supplier who their delivery company is, if it's Amtrack, I will often go elsewhere.

Amtrack have a very agressive sales policy and undercut their rival's prices. This cut-price policy of theirs reflects in the wages they pay to their drivers.

And as the saying goes, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Good luck, reefsmoka.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
No, i know its Micro Directs fault, because they said i said i wanted it delivered to stoke, and they have that on there database. Now i dont know anyone who lives in stoke, ive never lived in stoke, i dont even know a stoke post code. They messed up and are stealing money from me, i will be taking legal action soon because they broke the agreement when they taken the extra £15 from my bank and sent it to the wrong address still.

Maybe im a one off, but the way ive been treated is disgraceful.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well well well, I finally heard back form Micro Direct without having to hurl abuse down the phone! They've emailed me saying that they've paid the money back into my bank, i dont know if they have yet, but im checking tomorrow morning if possible.

I'm gonna want another shop to order an Ati Radeon 9800 Pro from, for under £140. Does anyone know where i could get one from? Any make really except Saphire obviously ;).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
www.overclockers.co.uk are doing a Connect3D version for £133.00 + p & p. and a Powercolour version for £141.00 + p & p.

I have a Connect 3D version, had it for a month now, it's OK.

I'm not keen on that supplier anymore though, tbh, cos they offered the Hercules version 'on special offer' for £130.00 and then sent me the Connect3D version without asking me for any preference. When I phoned them they argued that the Connect 3D was actually more expensive than the special offer Hercules card, which it was (going by their prices, anyway). However, I think they just wanted to get rid of surplus stock and used the Hercules offer as bait.

They did offer a full refund inc. p & p to send it back, but I wanted a 9800 Pro, so I gave in.

Crafty, or sly, marketing, no?

Still, the card's been good, it's just I'm a little narked cos the cooling isn't as good as the Hercules card.

Anyway, enough waffle, the card meets your budget, I've had no problems with that supplier over a three year period, so it's up to you mate ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Is the cooling on a Connect3D card sufficent if im not overclocking it?

I will be playing all the latest games, with settings at around medium to high. Its just ive heard the cooling on modern cards just doesnt cut the mustard anymore! Especially from Saphire!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well, you know how i said they e-mailed me to say they've paid me the money back on 14-06-2004? Well its still not in today 02-07-2004! and whats worse is that i've got my phone bill back today and i've spent nearly £7 on just calling there stupid asses.

The moral of the story is to NEVER ever ever ever, not in a million years, use www.microdirect.co.uk ! If you do, your either mentally impaired, or impaired mentally!

Reaction score
just about to spend £700 on parts from micro direct does that mean i'm mentally impaired?

will report back on whether it all works, never had a problem with miro direct and although you have had problems reef you've got to remember that out of dealing with 1000's of customers, occasionally they will screw up as with any company, i appreciate this and will continue buying from them until i have a couple of serious problems with they're service.

reef, you could carry on buying from microdirect for the next fews years you probably won't come across anything like the problems you just have.

everyone to there own.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I wouldnt order from micro direct if they gave me a £1000 voucher to spend at there shop.Itsdisgracful how they've treated us. They take the money out of the bank with hours, but its taken over 7 weeks to put it back?? what kind of sense is that? They lie every time we speak to them, we've spoken to managers and the requalur staff, we get a different story every time. They say all kindsa crap:

.You've already got the card
.Someone signed for the card in stoke
.The cards at the leicester depot
.The cards in the manchest depot
.The cards on its way back
.We've received the card, the money should be in your bank within 3 days
.We've received the card, the money should be in your bank within 7 days
.We've not even received the papers to process your claim
.Your claim is being processed and needs to be seen by the manager

And thats not even half of it.

I dont htink i need to say more really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well i found that after trawling the net, Aria.co.uk or Overclockers.co.uk are the cheapest and both offer good delivery services that are next day as standard.

Aria.co.uk use Initial Citylink to deliver their stuff. ALL the deliveries i have had from them arrive at 9:58 the next morning and it's just perfect. Can not fault it. The prices are damn good too - usually cheaper than overclockers.

OCUK use Amtrack and i have ordered thousands of pounds worth of stuff from them. The deliveries are next day and i have never ever had a problem with them.

of course you can get about everything cheaper on ebuyer...if you are sure you wont have to send it back!

chris.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Yes, I have also found Overclockers to be one of the best ever.

I've ordered a GFX card and a mouse mat off them (both seperate) and they both come next day! Even though i'm only paying regular delivery prices!

And my friend built a whole computer from the aria site, and all the part come within a week! nothing missing, nothing sent to stoke and it all works fine!

So i definatly give overclockers and Aria 10/10!

Reaction score
no 3 - i mentioned Aria, OCUK and Ebuyer.

used savastore and dabs a good few times but will check out Komplett.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
oo, my poor ole eyes!

I think its becuase i have my refresh rate so low on my TFT monitor, my eye sight is shot. :p

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
but they effect my eyes :blush: :p

ok i admit im mentally impaired due to ordering off Mirco Direct!

Ask a Question