Media Player problem

Tomaz Koritnik

Hi

I use media player to watch DivX movies, but many times, when I exit
Media Player, it looks like it has closed but the process still runs (I
checked the task manager). Sometimes, it takes seconds to close and most of
times I need to kill it. When it still runs in background, I can't play any
movie. Double-clicking a movie does nothing. The second thing is that when
playing a DivX movie and I run another DivX movie to be played, MP just guts
stuck. It waits and waits and does nothing while its screen is blank and I
have to kill the process and run movie again. I have all possible updates
for WindowsXP including SP1 installed.

Does anyone has same problems and how do I fix them because they are
most irritating.

regards
Tomaz

Jose Francisco

Greetings Tomaz,

Why don't you try using the default DIVX player? (http://www.divx.com)

I use to have problems like this before with MS Windows Media player.
However as soon as I started using the DIVX player which comes withe DIVX
codec everything runs smoothly.

Thanks and good luck!

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi Tomaz,

Thanks for your posting here

According to the information, please first confirm this issue appears when
you play other kinds of files than DivX movies. Also, let me know the
current version of Windows Media Player you are using.

Also, please perform the following steps to narrow down the issue:

1. You may first disable "Startup group items". To do this as the following:
------------------------
a. Click Start -> Run, then type "msconfig" in the input box and press
Enter.

b. Click Selective startup, and then clear the check box next to "Load
startup items".

c. Click Service tab, click Hide All Microsoft Services to hide them, and
Disable All.

d. Click Apply and OK, then restart the computer.

2. Please try to remove and reinstall the Codecs. To do this, follow these
steps:
-----------------------
1) Click Start, and click Control Panel.

2) Double-click System, and click the Hardware tab.

3) Click the "Device Manager" button.

4) Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

5) Right-click Audio Codecs, and then click Properties.

6) Click the Properties tab.

7) In the Video Compression Codecs list, click the codec that you want to
remove, and then click Remove.

8) Click Yes to confirm the removal, and then click OK.

9) Please remove all the codec.

10) Click OK, and click OK again.

11) Restart the computer and test the issue.

Hope this helps. If anything is unclear, feel free to let me know. Have a
nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "Tomaz Koritnik" <[email protected]>
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|Subject: Media Player problem
|Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:47:59 +0200
|
|Hi
|
| I use media player to watch DivX movies, but many times, when I
exit
|Media Player, it looks like it has closed but the process still runs
(I
|checked the task manager). Sometimes, it takes seconds to close and
most of
|times I need to kill it. When it still runs in background, I can't
play any
|movie. Double-clicking a movie does nothing. The second thing is that
when
|playing a DivX movie and I run another DivX movie to be played, MP
just guts
|stuck. It waits and waits and does nothing while its screen is blank
and I
|have to kill the process and run movie again. I have all possible
updates
|for WindowsXP including SP1 installed.
|
| Does anyone has same problems and how do I fix them because they
are
|most irritating.
|
|regards
|Tomaz

Tomaz Koritnik

Hi

The Media Player version is 9.00.00.3128. I'm usually watching movies
compressed with DivX or XVid, but I don't have any codec-identifier tool to
know which movie is compressed with which codec. I use fdShow codec pack
version 20030523.
Can you explain what does the option "Load startup items" do? I'm just
curious.

regards
Tomaz

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi Tomaz,

Thanks for your posting back.

I suggest you remove all the Codecs and reinstall them again, and then
check the issue.

As the option "Load startup items", it will load the entries when the
computer starts. For more info, refer to the article:
310353 How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353

Please let me know the results at your convenience.

> [...]

|> Thanks & Regards
|> Alan Sun
|> Microsoft Online Partner Support
|>
|> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|> =====================================================
|> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so
|> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
|> =====================================================
|>
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
|rights.
|>

|> --------------------
|> |From: "Tomaz Koritnik" <[email protected]>
|> |Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|> |Subject: Media Player problem
|> |Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:47:59 +0200

|cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli
|>

|e.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!kanja.arnes.si!news-hub.siol.net!news.siol.n
|> |
|> | I use media player to watch DivX movies, but many times,
when I
|> exit
|> |Media Player, it looks like it has closed but the process
still runs
|> (I
|> |checked the task manager). Sometimes, it takes seconds to
close and
|> most of
|> |times I need to kill it. When it still runs in background, I
can't
|> play any
|> |movie. Double-clicking a movie does nothing. The second thing
is
|that
|> when
|> |playing a DivX movie and I run another DivX movie to be
played, MP
|> just guts
|> |stuck. It waits and waits and does nothing while its screen
is blank
|> and I
|> |have to kill the process and run movie again. I have all
possible
|> updates
|> |for WindowsXP including SP1 installed.
|> |
|> | Does anyone has same problems and how do I fix them
because they
|> are
|> |most irritating.
|> |