Major errors including msi.dll bad image error...

G

Hi,

Out of nowhere...I turned on my comp and got loads of command prompt style popup errors:

the various headers indicate errors with ccApp.exe, creative folder errors, others where there are just numbers and letters on the headers!!....absolutely no idea what is going on...

When I turn of the windows, the ccapp.exe windows keeps coming back...so then i turn off the ccapp.exe process, and then that window is gone...

I have nortons firewall installed....so I try to uninstall it..but nope...it states the following error...

C:/........system/msi.dll is not a valid windows image!!!!!!!!

what does this mean, because now i can't unsitall nortons or mcafee virus scan, because of this error... when i go to control panel, and select add/remove programs....the windpw appears, but no programs....its blank....i can't remove anything, and cannot install registry fixers, because of that error....

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR........

In the meantime..I have used the symantec removal tool to remove norton firewall...but the errors keep coming (less errors though...no ccapp.exe)..but the /system/msi.dll is there, amongst a few others at startup.

do I have to reinstall this dll file,...or will I have to reinstall windows, because my programs don't work either, games don't run, pc bug doc doesn't work, and when i use messenger, i get the that msi error again.

I have installed registry mechanic, and its fixed over 500 problems....450+ in deep reg scan.....and now when I boot up, i get the following errors only...

16 Bit MSDOS Subsystem (HEADER)

C:\WINDOWS\System32\rmctrl.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06ea IP:0104 OP:ff 00 00 b8 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

SNDMon.EXE - Bad Image (HEADER of 2nd pop up window)

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\Msi.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

MsnMsgr.EXE - Bad Image x3 then messenger appears on 3 more windows with the same body of text as above.

Any ideas????????? please help..........thanks PS I've also uninstalled my creative audigy drivers in the meantime....

cheers

D

davetest

Hi,

Out of nowhere...I turned on my comp and got loads of command prompt style popup errors:

the various headers indicate errors with ccApp.exe, creative folder errors, others where there are just numbers and letters on the headers!!....absolutely no idea what is going on...

When I turn of the windows, the ccapp.exe windows keeps coming back...so then i turn off the ccapp.exe process, and then that window is gone...

I have nortons firewall installed....so I try to uninstall it..but nope...it states the following error...

C:/........system/msi.dll is not a valid windows image!!!!!!!!

what does this mean, because now i can't unsitall nortons or mcafee virus scan, because of this error... when i go to control panel, and select add/remove programs....the windpw appears, but no programs....its blank....i can't remove anything, and cannot install registry fixers, because of that error....

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR........

In the meantime..I have used the symantec removal tool to remove norton firewall...but the errors keep coming (less errors though...no ccapp.exe)..but the /system/msi.dll is there, amongst a few others at startup.

do I have to reinstall this dll file,...or will I have to reinstall windows, because my programs don't work either, games don't run, pc bug doc doesn't work, and when i use messenger, i get the that msi error again.

I have installed registry mechanic, and its fixed over 500 problems....450+ in deep reg scan.....and now when I boot up, i get the following errors only...

SNDMon.EXE - Bad Image (HEADER of 2nd pop up window)

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\Msi.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

MsnMsgr.EXE - Bad Image x3 then messenger appears on 3 more windows with the same body of text as above.

Any ideas????????? please help..........thanks PS I've also uninstalled my creative audigy drivers in the meantime....

cheers
Can you boot into safe mode?
Perhaps you can try SFC /SCANNOW

Dave

G

I tried the sfc /scannow, and it checked if any intact protected files had been changed...but once finished..the window just disappeared...no results were shown..
I can boot into safe mode...I did a full virus scan with macafee...but nothing was found.....

what do you think?

cheers Saj

D

davexnet01

Saj said:
I tried the sfc /scannow, and it checked if any intact protected files had been changed...but once finished..the window just disappeared...no results were shown..
I can boot into safe mode...I did a full virus scan with macafee...but nothing was found.....

what do you think?

cheers Saj
I've got to beleive a message was logged somewhere. Did you check
the event viewer? (eventvwr.msc from the run box) Check the app. and system
messages.

Dave

D

davexnet01

Saj said:
Please note.....I have downloaded another msi.dll file and copied that into my system32 directory....so the msi error has gone....But I still get a 'rmctrl.exe' error on bootup. The full error states:

What is this file rmctrl.exe ? I don;t have it on either of my XP
systems.
Do a whole harddrive search and look for it, display the properties,
find
out what it's related to. This link seems to suggest Powerdvd.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&[email protected]
Before this popup, another popup appears and disappears quickly.. I made out >the header to be qttask....or something like that. I don't know if they are >related.
qttask is quicktime I believe. Use msconfig/startup tab and uncheck
qttask
for now. Really, you could uncheck every thing and reboot like that.
Then start adding in the items one by one, reboot each time.
thanks Saj
Dave

G

Hi, I removed powerdvd, and updated quicktime...and now I don't get any errors popping up....But, within my system32 folder, I found rmctrl.exe is still there...when I try to delete it, it states that it is being used by another person or function....How can I remove it?....is it being used for something important?
thanks

Ask a Question