Macromedia Flash

G

I'm basically a novice on a Dell Dimension 8200, running Windows XP, including all upgrades, with 512 mb RAM. 80GB total memory -- and I'm interested in maintaining this computer system to the best of my ability. For quite some time now, certain websites and e-card sites are very slow in coming up -- and, invariably, the holdup has been caused by a Macromedia Flash demand to be downloaded, or, without the download, I won't be able to view the website in question. Invariably, I click the Macromedia thing out, and I can view the website perfectly well. From what I have gleaned, MM Flash is mainly for people who design their own websites, which I don't, and have no intention of doing. Can anyone tell me if MM Flash is of any benefit to a casual user? If not, is there a way I can get ride of Macro's interference? Thanks so much. Cheryl

D

dev

cheryl said:
I'm basically a novice on a Dell Dimension 8200, running Windows XP, including all upgrades, with 512 mb RAM. 80GB total memory -- and I'm interested in maintaining this computer system to the best of my ability. For quite some time now, certain websites and e-card sites are very slow in coming up -- and, invariably, the holdup has been caused by a Macromedia Flash demand to be downloaded, or, without the download, I won't be able to view the website in question. Invariably, I click the Macromedia thing out, and I can view the website perfectly well. From what I have gleaned, MM Flash is mainly for people who design their own websites, which I don't, and have no intention of doing. Can anyone tell me if MM Flash is of any benefit to a casual user? If not, is there a way I can get ride of Macro's interference? Thanks so much. Cheryl

Flash and its companion Shockwave are animation and rendering design
tools, true. But the casual surfer need only install the browser
plug-ins, to be able to view these efforts - which are increasingly common.

See http://www.macromedia.com for info and the downloads.

W

Wesley Vogel

Cheryl;
In my opinion, to be kind, Flash is irritating, to say the least.
Download and install it and then disable the damn thing
with:

SpywareBlaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.]

[SpywareBlaster provides additional functionality in its "Tools" section.
Flash Killer: Macromedia Flash can be used to display animated interfaces on
websites, animations, and other "Flash" content. Unfortunately, advertisers
have begun to use Flash as a method for creating annoying and distracting
content. And some users that may wish to keep the software off of their
computers altogether have found it troublesome to prevent every website that
uses Flash from installing it. Flash Killer can set the kill bit for the
Macromedia Flash control (versions 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x) - preventing the
installation completely and disabling it if it is already installed.
Reversing this procedure is easy.]

Ask a Question