Mac zip

Anthony Giorgianni

Hello All

Anyone know of a good freeware zipping/unzipping program for Mac. I see Mac
Zip. Is this the best there is? Does it work ok? From the website, it looks
like there may be some limitations on this software. Any feedback or better
free zip apps.

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Gregory Weston

"Anthony Giorgianni"
Hello All

Anyone know of a good freeware zipping/unzipping program for Mac. I see Mac
Zip. Is this the best there is? Does it work ok? From the website, it looks
like there may be some limitations on this software. Any feedback or better
free zip apps.

Well, if you've got Mac OS X 10.3, there's support for zip in the
Finder. I believe it's available from the command line on all prior
builds of OS X.

Kram

Anyone know of a good freeware zipping/unzipping program for Mac. I see Mac
Zip. Is this the best there is? Does it work ok? From the website, it looks
like there may be some limitations on this software. Any feedback or better
free zip apps.

Isn't there a free version of Stuffit Expander by Aladdin? And I think
it comes free with any Mac OS (7,8,9, or X)

Chris Hayes

sbt said:
I'm assuming from that fact that you use OE as your news client that
you're still mired in the pre-OS X Mac world.

Then you'd assume wrongly.

- rgds, Chris

Anthony Giorgianni

Hello All.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, in addition to trying and using lots of freeware programs myself
over the years, I am writing a story on freeware for a major national
magazine. I have a Windows system. But it seems like a lot of Mac software
is distributed zipped or in some other archive type as well. So it would
seem to make sense to recommend, among others things, that people obtain a
program capable of opening archived files. There are many versions for
Windows systems. But I'm trying to see if there is anything free that I can
recommend for Mac.

As I posted some time back, it seems like there is much less freeware
available for Mac or even Linux than for Windows.

It looks like SutffIt Expander is free only as part of a trial version of
the primary StuffIt programs. So I may have to go with MacZip, unless anyone
know of anything else.

Thx.

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Anthony Giorgianni

Actually this is strange. Tucows seems to indicate that StuffIt Expander is
freeware, but the Aladdin web site says:

"You will be downloading
a trial version of
StuffIt Standard Edition
which includes Expander."

It guess I'll have to call them.

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
"Anthony Giorgianni" <[email protected]>

Susan Bugher

Anthony said:
[...]

Linux is lacking in freeware? The fat's in the fire now. . . ;)

FYI - there's very little discussion of Mac apps in ACF. There might be
more info elsewhere. The Stuffit question did come up last year:

<q>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:13:41 GMT

Thanks. I discovered that you can ftp direct to ftp.aladdinsys.com and
versions 2, 5, 5.1, 5.11 and 6 of expander only are still available in
/pub/_old/pc/StuffIt_Expander/
</q>

I don't know if that's still true. . .

Susan

Susan Bugher

Anthony said:
Actually this is strange. Tucows seems to indicate that StuffIt Expander is
freeware, but the Aladdin web site says:

"You will be downloading
a trial version of
StuffIt Standard Edition
which includes Expander."

http://www.stuffit.com/win/index.html

<q>
StuffIt Expander - FREE Expansion and Decoding Only

NOTE: Expander is only available as part of the StuffIt Standard Edition
Trial download package.
</q>

http://www.stuffit.com/win/expander/index.html

<q>
Aladdin's Award-winning StuffIt Expander (included in downloads of
StuffIt Standard and Deluxe) is a FREE tool to expand compressed or
encoded files.
</q>

Susan

Gregory Weston

"Anthony Giorgianni"
Hello All.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, in addition to trying and using lots of freeware programs myself
over the years, I am writing a story on freeware for a major national
magazine. I have a Windows system. But it seems like a lot of Mac software
is distributed zipped or in some other archive type as well. So it would
seem to make sense to recommend, among others things, that people obtain a
program capable of opening archived files. There are many versions for
Windows systems. But I'm trying to see if there is anything free that I can
recommend for Mac.

Ah. Your original request didn't indicate that. Actually zip is a very
rarely used format for Mac OS software. At this point, there are two
major non-physical distribution methods: StuffIt and disk images.
Sufficient software to handle both of these has been included with stock
OS installs and new machines for years.
It looks like SutffIt Expander is free only as part of a trial version of
the primary StuffIt programs. So I may have to go with MacZip, unless anyone
know of anything else.

MacZip would be an inappropriate recommendation for your newly-clarified
need.

Anthony Giorgianni

I see, Gregory. That's fine, then. Shows you my unfamiliarity with Mac.

Thanks everyone.