MAC ADDRESS

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if could be done, but I need to get the MAC Address for a couple of PC that were stolen. What I have is a backup image of all the HDD.

Is there a file where I could get the address?

Cheers

Reaction score
You're probably out of luck. The only way I know to do it is with IPCONFIG /ALL command while you're connected with the adapter that you want the MAC address for (the Wireless NIC and Wired NIC will have different MAC addresses). Hopefully someone can prove me wrong! Good Luck

Reaction score
I hope so!!

I was thinking somewhere when the driver is installed the MAC address should be write down.

Reaction score
Maybe if you have logs of those address on the hard drives you have you could find them

But pretty pointless tbh if machines have been nicked. Quite easy nowadays to spoof over a MAC using third party software

Again someone may prove me wrong too

Reaction score
why do you need the MAC Address?
each card is different & has a different MAC anyway?
have you alerted the police?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Even if you had the MAC's it would make no difference. Dont waste your time. :)

Reaction score
The Police told us they could track the mac address and find the PCs, if they are connected to the net. We use a backup system named CrasPlan Pro. But that log uses only IPs. And we use all static IP.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reaction score
I am almost certain you cant track a PC buy the MAC alone. MAC's are for networks only, outside of the network and you cant even see the MAC address'

How is possible to track a PC then? But please, don't tell IP.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As said in the link i posted, if it had some kind of 'phone home' trojan on it then maybe.

IP's wouldn't matter as again the ip you assigned to it would be a network ip, eg 192.168.1.X the external ip would be unknown.

Reaction score
Ok, I asked to the Police and they say they could track the MAC Addresses with the help of the Internet service suppliers. V_R: What do you think?

I would like to go to the first challenge too, is there any way to get the MAC Address of a PC if I only have the HDD backup?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You would still need to know what the 'new' network is that the stolen PC is on. As i said, MAC address are second level only.

Ask a Question