Lumix FZ18 Photos

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We finally got to test the LZ18 today, and went to Dunham Massey which is just a few minutes outside Manchester. Was a lovely (but FREEZING!) day :D The zoom on the camera is excellent, and some of the pics were taken from quite a distance (even saw a woodpecker)
nod.gif

I've uploaded all of the pics to the gallery, but I've linked to them all below :)

View of the house at Dunham Massey​

The lake from another angle​

One for Ciri!​

A very friendly squirrel​

My favorite photo of the bunch​

Very small deer :)

Yummy, leaves!​

A woodpecker far away, thankfully the zoom worked!​

A carving in the middle of the forest​

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You lucky git ... a green woodpecker.

Looking at the holes in that tree, a regular spot for him too ......... aaaggghhhhhh .......... give me the location.

I ain't talking to you now. :rolleyes:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow some superb shots there Ian..:thumb:

What mode did you have the camera in program or just point and shoot simple..

Love the Geese shot and the Deer headshot..

I bet your really pleased you bought the Panny now..:nod: The zoom is fantastic isn't it..You certainly made muck's jealous shooting that Green woodpecker..

Carry on shooting Ian and posting the pics..we luv em..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, really pleased with the FZ18 - two thumbs up :D Was all in point and shoot mode, crazylegs - until I can figure out all of the features.

Mucks, the location is Dunham Massey in Greater Manchester - it's funny as that shot of the woodpecker was taken from a long way away... it was only a few meters in front of us, but by the time we got the lens cap off it was on the other side of the tree. Luckily, we saw another one in the distance and got it with the zoom.

Is it not a common bird to see? I've attached a close up of it. :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• greenwoodpecker.jpg
    greenwoodpecker.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 920

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just goes to show its very capable even in simple mode..I luv my Panny...:nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh excellent pics Ian, they are so clear! You were so lucky to be able to see those lovely deer and that squirrel seems very laid-back :D I agree with Mucks, you were also very fortunate to see that green woodpecker, I've only seen one once in the thirty-odd years we have lived here. You've got a very good picture of him :nod: The Canadian goose close-up is remarkable. Super camera you've got there :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Is it not a common bird to see?
Not round my neck of the 'woods' no. It is what the RSPB call an 'Amber' species, though it is on the increase.

I should point out that I haven't really been visiting a lot of woodlands. However, it's not an easy bird to spot, never mind get a decent photo. The are aware of people and will move to the blindside of trees, they ain't stupid. :thumb:

Thanks for the pic. :D

Reaction score
Nice pics Ian.:nod:
Muckshifter their must be an in-land/no water RSPB site near you?
Are you a member of the RSPB?
As you may get to see more Woodpeckers in an inland reserve, say 30 miles from the sea.:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
Nice pics Ian.
nod.gif

Muckshifter their must be an in-land/no water RSPB site near you?
Are you a member of the RSPB?
As you may get to see more Woodpeckers in an inland reserve, say 30 miles from the sea.:thumb:
Sure, I'm not only a member of the RSPB but also WWT & WT and me Sister is also all the above plus the National Trust too. :lol:

I have pics of the greater spotted woodpecker coming out of me ears, just not got to see a green yet ... the lesser spotted is on me 'tick' list to see also. ;)

It is typical, a non-bird watcher just happens on a bird I'd like to see. :rolleyes:

I've just got back from Mere Sands Wood ... it is quite a big wood of mixed trees and I'm just as likely to spot one there ... I ain't a 'twitcher', I'm not gonna make a special trip just to catch that bird, I just like bird watching ... judging by the state of that tree, where Ian got his green, it is obviously a fav haunt for peckers.

We had a lot of people at MSW asking if we had seen the Night Heron ... well, we didn't go there "just to see a night heron" we went for the day out and to see some birds.

I did get some "first-ticks" for myself though ... if the pics are any good, you'll see them in the gallery. :thumb:

:user:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
For a first timer with the camera, these are just awsome! Now just think what you could do with this tool once you get the hang of it.

Keep shooting!:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all :)

I'm going to get some practice in over the next few weeks :nod:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Brilliant shots Ian, you defo have an eye for a shot :wave:

Ask a Question