From: "Brent" <[email protected]>
Subject: LPT1 Port Prints to Network Printer
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:55:53 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Any printer I connect Directly to my PC through the
printer port prints to my network printer. I only have one
printer connected to my network. Even if I remove all my
printers and only have my LPT printer set up it still
prints to my network printer. I have always kept on top of
my windows updates and I think it happened from one of the
updates but I am not completely sure when it happened. all
I know is I can't connect a printer directly to my LPT 1
port. I can however connect it to my USB port and it works
fine. Unfortunatly I need this printer for a Dos program I
am running and connot point the program to the printer
untill I get it on my LPT1 port. Any Suggestions?
--

Brent,

It sounds like your LPT1 port has been mapped to your network printer. To find out if this is the case go to a Command
Prompt and run the command "net use" and look to see if you see LPT1 listed. If it is listed then has been mapped. To
remove the mapping we need to run the command "net use lpt1 /d" and once this is done print jobs sent to LPT1 should go
to the local Parallel port.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Thanks Bill. That did it. I can't say how much that
helped. Now I need help finding all the hair I ripped
out.We are a small company and I am the Troubleshooter
here and I have no experience, I am a graphic artist not
an IT Pro. Just curious, how would I add that back to
the "net use" if I wanted too? I am trying to figure out
how it got that way in the first place.
Thanks Again
Brent
[...]

newsgroup/thread

Hey BIll. I thought that did it. Well it did for a day or
so. I came in on monday and fired up the computer. Went
about my business, tried to print and got nothing. I went
to Settings->Printers and there were no printers set up at
all. I did nothing to the printers and they are gone. When
I go to ADD PRINTER I get an error "printer operation
cannot continue due to lack of resources. The print
subsystem is unavailable." Ahhhh! What happened? any ideas?

Thanks
Brent

Bruce Sanderson

Most likely the Print Spooler service is stopped; perhaps it failed during
startup.

Open a Command Prompt and key the command:

net start spooler

Do your printers now appear in the Printers folder (try closing the Printers
folder and opening it again)?

If the Print Spooler is failing consistently, this is most often caused by a
problem with one or more printer drivers. See if the info at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm helps.

Thanks Bruce
that did it...for now...First just for kicks I went to
the command prompt (because all my printers were back when
I started up today) and ran the "net use" command. To my
surprise (yeah right) the LPT1 was on the network again so
that everything I print goes to my network printer. so i
went and did the "net use lpt1 /d" command. I then
restarted my computer and checked out my printers and they
are now fine and dandy. I thank you. With this
information, even if it reverts back again, I should be
able to dig myself out. The next step is to inform the
manufacturer of the DOS program that it keeps messing up
my printers. It seems to be that when I used this program
last, everything reverted back to be on the network. This
last bit is just for your knowledge if it helps on
situations in the future. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LPT1 Port Prints to Network Printer
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:45:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Thanks Bruce
that did it...for now...First just for kicks I went to
the command prompt (because all my printers were back when
I started up today) and ran the "net use" command. To my
surprise (yeah right) the LPT1 was on the network again so
that everything I print goes to my network printer. so i
went and did the "net use lpt1 /d" command. I then
restarted my computer and checked out my printers and they
are now fine and dandy. I thank you. With this
information, even if it reverts back again, I should be
able to dig myself out. The next step is to inform the
manufacturer of the DOS program that it keeps messing up
my printers. It seems to be that when I used this program
last, everything reverted back to be on the network. This
last bit is just for your knowledge if it helps on
situations in the future. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
---

Brent,

To answer your other question for how to put back the LPT1 remapping, you go to a command prompt and run "net use lpt1
\\<server name>\<printer share name>". When you do this it will remap the port for that instance, meaning when you reboot
it will no longer be remapped. If you want it to still be remapped after the reboot you need to add " /p:y" to the end of the
command to make it persistent. If you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet the /d, for delete, is mainly used to remove persistent
mappings but can be used to remove a non-persistent mapping before a reboot.