LPR printing problem generating event ID: 4010

Rein

Recently we have migrated from an Nt4 server to a Windows 2000 server
Sp4.
On the NT4 server we had print queue's with LPR printing, used by our
SAP server

Our SAP server now prints via the print queue on the windows 2000
server.
We still use the same HPJetdirect printboxes connected printers.
the only thing changed is the swap of NT4 to Windows 2000.

We made the changes to the registry as suggested in Kb168457 and Kb
150930
The problem we have is that sometimes there is a 30 minute delay in
printing. Only after 30 minutes or so a print appears in the print
queue.
While at other times the printing is very swift and takes less than a
minute.

The following error appears in the server's system log:

Source: LDPSVC
Event ID: 4010
Request from [ip_address] could not be satisfied: possibly due to
network problems.

Pinging the SAP server continiously with pingplotter does not indicate
a we have a network problem.
Setting the printer to: print directly to the printer did not have any
effect
Enabling LPR byte count had no effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to tackle this problem?

thanks in advance,
Rein

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Rein)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Subject: LPR printing problem generating event ID: 4010
Date: 2 Feb 2004 03:23:46 -0800

--

First make sure we have the changes per the following article added, since this still applies to LPR/LPD printing on
Windows 2000.

179156 - Updated TCP/IP Printing Options for Windows NT 4.0 SP3 and Later
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];179156

I have also heard that if we have the value Tcp1323Opts in the registry key HKLM\\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
\Tcpip\Parameters and it is set to anything other than 0 (zero) then behavior like this can happen. The article below talks
more about this value.

224829 - Description of Windows 2000 TCP Features
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];224829

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Rein

Bill thanks for the reply.

I've added the value UseNonRFCSourcePorts
set it to 1, restarted the sooler and tcpip print service but still
had the error. Setting the value to 0 had no effect either.
the Tcp1323Opts value did not exist.

I've now deleted the value UseNonRFCSourcePorts again.

By the way SAP is installed on AIX only i do not know the exact
details yet.

thanks,
Rein

--------------------

From: (e-mail address removed) (Rein)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Subject: Re: LPR printing problem generating event ID: 4010
Date: 6 Feb 2004 04:26:04 -0800

Bill thanks for the reply.

I've added the value UseNonRFCSourcePorts
set it to 1, restarted the sooler and tcpip print service but still
had the error. Setting the value to 0 had no effect either.
the Tcp1323Opts value did not exist.

I've now deleted the value UseNonRFCSourcePorts again.

By the way SAP is installed on AIX only i do not know the exact
details yet.

thanks,
Rein
--

Rein,

Try adding the DWORD value Tcp1323Opts and setting it to 0 (zero). As far as I can tell the default for this if the entry is not
there is for the Scaling and Timestamp to be enabled and setting the value to 0 disables them.