Low Local Connectivity Problem Away From Home

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Perhaps someone can help me with the following. When travelling away from home either in the States or abroad, my internet connection comes and goes. It will connect from 1-3 minutes and then disconnect for about 20 seconds (more or less). It seems clear that it is searching for a signal, but for the life of me I can not figure out which one. I disabled the wireless2 connection which I have never enabled, got rid of itunes (shouldn't have tried playing the radio!), have run Norton anti-virus, anti-spyware, and used registry mechanics. The only thing I can think of is that my Norton anti-virus may be using the Wirless2 when I launch Explorer. I have an HP pavilion laptop, pentium 4, with an XP 2 pack operating system bought about six months ago. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And do please forgive me if I have used the wrong Forum for this.

One other very small but annoying problem is that I always get the following explorer application error, although it does not seem to present any problems at this time: 0x023cle10 could not be read at ref memory 0x01ccf238. Again, if you might point me in the right direction for the correct Forum I would be very greatful.
Best wishes,
Linda

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you tell us how you connect to the internet? Is it via a 3G link, using your wireless networking card to a hub or a GPRS card?

Reaction score
Dear PC Review Editor-in-Chief:

First, thank you so much for your interest as none of the servers were able to fix the problem . I'm afraid this computer-challenged person can only tell you that I have DSL and at home and I use a router (and have no problem at home). When in hotels I simply use their ethernet cable to connect to their server and when I was in Liverpool I did the same as well as in Montreal and Boston. I don't believe I would be using the wireless networking card since I've never enabled it and in fact, at least in Liverpool, the server told me to disable it along with the one that is labled 1394 so that the only thing that was connected was the local area one. If you still need to know specifically what is used, can you tell me how I might find out?

Now, when I bought this computer, I did download quite a bit from my previous Ahtec computer which I had bought in Spain and which crashed-(it's rather a clone I suppose-but quite good and I never had problems connecting when in Liverpool with it). I'm thinking I may have found something from that that is searching for a signal as in "Network Connections", I have just this moment seen a file labled 'Ahtec.org' with many files that say'signal' 'sonic' 'sprint' 'switch'-
I think I should probably delete it (and you're probably saying 'duh').

And that's all I can think of at the moment to help you. Again, thank you so very much for your time and effort.
Kindest regards,
Linda

Ask a Question