Lost information bar

I have read a dozen articles generated by this search string and I have spent
the best part of a day running patches, registry fixes and tinkering with
Internet Explorer security settings and registry values, all to no avail.

I do not know what destroyed the information bar functionality, but I can
report that it is dead. IE is blocking pop-ups, but not showing the
information bar to enable them, and it is blocking Active X scripts, but
again not displaying the information bar to enable them.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to restore a lost/broken information
bar?

I do not want to be referred to the platitudes on the MS web site explaining
what an information bar is, or what it looks like. Nor do I want
instructions on how to modify IE security settings. I just want to restore
the information bar. And for the record, reinstalling IE6 does not work.

Don Varnau

Hi,
I know that you've tried some of these suggestions, but...

Disable *any* third-party security, privacy, ad-blocking program that might
be blocking pop-ups or scripts, scripting, active content. Many programs,
including firewalls, can block ActiveX, Javascript, pop-ups. Before
disabling a third-party firewall, turn on the Windows Firewall.

Internet Options> Security, set the Internet Zone to Default.

With only one IE window open, turn off the pop-up blocker and disable
toolbars such as Google, MSN, Yahoo. Restart the computer.

Have you looked through Processes (Ctrl-Alt-Del) for anything that may be
causing this?

Have you disabled non-microsoft add-ons in IE> Tools> Manage add-ons?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
Additional information:
If the Yahoo toolbar is installed, don't just disable it- uninstall it.

See if this information seems to apply:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/olereg.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jonno said:
I have read a dozen articles generated by this search string and I have spent
the best part of a day running patches, registry fixes and tinkering with
Internet Explorer security settings and registry values, all to no avail.

I do not know what destroyed the information bar functionality, but I can
report that it is dead. IE is blocking pop-ups, but not showing the
information bar to enable them, and it is blocking Active X scripts, but
again not displaying the information bar to enable them.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to restore a lost/broken information
bar?
[snip]

Thank you Don for your reply.

My task was to install MIS8, so all AV, AS, and firewall tools had been
removed and I had run McAfee CLAV to remove infections and I had manually
removed non-standard tool-bars and gimmicks.

Jonno said:
I have read a dozen articles generated by this search string and I have spent
the best part of a day running patches, registry fixes and tinkering with
Internet Explorer security settings and registry values, all to no avail.

I do not know what destroyed the information bar functionality, but I can
report that it is dead. IE is blocking pop-ups, but not showing the
information bar to enable them, and it is blocking Active X scripts, but
again not displaying the information bar to enable them.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to restore a lost/broken information
bar?
[snip]

Don Varnau

A recent security update may be involved. Here's a reposted message from PA
Bear:
- - -
1. ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to
defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688
(MS05-052) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909889

Fix: http://patch-info.de/IE/Downloads/OLEfix.zip (OLEFix.reg) or
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip (KB896688_fix.exe; a small
VB app that checks the 4 values and offers a repair option if any of them
are incorrect)

2. A Web page that contains a custom ActiveX control may not load as
expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in
cumulative security update 896688 (MS05-052)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)
- - -

If installing McAfee IS8 from a CD, check these settings:
Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run in
files on My Computer ."
and
"Allow active content from CDs to run in files on My Computer ."

Or [longshot] Turn on the pop-up blocker. Click the Settings button. Check
"Show information bar." Set filter level to Low. OK your way out. Restart.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jonno" wrote in message
I have read a dozen articles generated by this search string and I
have
spent
the best part of a day running patches, registry fixes and tinkering with
Internet Explorer security settings and registry values, all to no avail.

I do not know what destroyed the information bar functionality, but I can
report that it is dead. IE is blocking pop-ups, but not showing the
information bar to enable them, and it is blocking Active X scripts, but
again not displaying the information bar to enable them.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to restore a lost/broken information
bar?
[snip]

Thanks again and Happy Christmas if you celebrate it.

Yes I have read that article and applied the solution. I not that it worked
for a number of people in the thread, but it did not return the information
bar in the computer I was working on.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Sorry... I don't know what else to try.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jonno said:
Thanks again and Happy Christmas if you celebrate it.

Yes I have read that article and applied the solution. I note that it worked
Don Varnau said:
[...]

For the record, the workaround was to list the site with the ActiveX script
(au.mcafee.com) as a safe site in a couple of places, and the script ran.

But I never got the IB back.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Jonno,
Thanks for the update.