Lost folder in IE 7

Lorraine W

IE7 hung when I was trying to delete a message. I had to eventually reset
my computer as everything was totally locked. When I rebooted and started
IE7, the folder I had been trying to delete a message from was gone.

I looked in my store folder and it shows up there with 1,442 KB. Is there
any way I can get these messages back into IE?

Lorraine W

Oops... apologies - that should have read OE6 - in all cases. (having a
senior moment)

Lorraine

| IE7 or OE6?
| --
| ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
| AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org
|
| Lorraine W wrote:
| > IE7 hung when I was trying to delete a message. I had to eventually
reset
| > my computer as everything was totally locked. When I rebooted and
started
| > IE7, the folder I had been trying to delete a message from was gone.
| >
| > I looked in my store folder and it shows up there with 1,442 KB. Is
there
| > any way I can get these messages back into IE?

PA Bear

Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and #4)
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (Notes section under
Resolution)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Lorraine W

Thank you so much PA Bear, I got all my messages in that folder back.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by the statement below, but I haven't
had the time to read all of the info in your many links (for which I thank
you again). I will save your reply and links to follow up on when I have a
bit more time.

Thanks again,

Lorraine