IE error # 80020009

Hello Everyone

XP pro SP2
I use broadband and the VPN

When I start my machine and access one particular site everything goes fine.
But if I try to access the same site after 1 or 2 hours I receive the
following error message with blank page:

IE Error # 80020009
Unspecified error.
Unspecified error

When this happens I have found no way around it other than to reboot my
laptop. I upgraded to IE7, no difference.

I deleted all Tem and Internet Temp folders.
I tried IE7 without Adds-on from Programs > Accessories. This didn't make
any difference too.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Best

Jon Kennedy

Probaby a server-side error message. Contact the web site in question. If
no joy....

Four things to try:

1. Delete your TIF and History folders completely:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

2. Check your Cookies folder and delete any cookies that relate to the
sites in question.

3. Check your Hosts file as per this article:
Problems Using Internet Explorer with Incorrect Hosts File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q219843

More info on the Hosts file:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

4. Got to a Command prompt (Start...Programs...Accessories) and type in:

ipconfig /flushdns

Hit Enter.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Best,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, thanks Jon for his kindly suggestions. You may first refer
to his suggestions.

I cannot reproduce your issue. I am not sure what the exact error message
you received. Could you let me know it?

Does the issue only occur on this specific web site?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: IE error # 80020009
| Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:27:42 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Hello Everyone
|
| XP pro SP2
| I use broadband and the VPN
|
| When I start my machine and access one particular site everything goes
fine.
| But if I try to access the same site after 1 or 2 hours I receive the
| following error message with blank page:
|
| IE Error # 80020009
| Unspecified error.
| Unspecified error
|
| When this happens I have found no way around it other than to reboot my
| laptop. I upgraded to IE7, no difference.
|
| I deleted all Tem and Internet Temp folders.
| I tried IE7 without Adds-on from Programs > Accessories. This didn't
make
| any difference too.
|
| Any ideas please?
|
| Thanks
|
| Best

Hi Ken

The error message is exactly this:

IE Error # 80020009
Unspecified error.
Unspecified error

It happens with only one particular site.

I shall thank Jon for his input.

Regards

Best

====

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Best,

What is the specific site? I will test it in my test machine.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:44:21 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Hi Ken
|
| The error message is exactly this:
|
| IE Error # 80020009
| Unspecified error.
| Unspecified error
|
| It happens with only one particular site.
|
| I shall thank Jon for his input.
|
| Regards
|
| Best
|
| ====
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Best,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, thanks Jon for his kindly suggestions. You may first
refer
| > to his suggestions.
| >
| > I cannot reproduce your issue. I am not sure what the exact error
message
| > you received. Could you let me know it?
| >
| > Does the issue only occur on this specific web site?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

Hello Ken

You need a password to access to it.

If you'd give me you email address, I will send you the site which is our
company's site and the screenshot.

Thanks

Best

===

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

OK, my email:[email protected]

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:25:16 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Hello Ken
|
| You need a password to access to it.
|
| If you'd give me you email address, I will send you the site which is our
| company's site and the screenshot.
|
| Thanks
|
| Best
|
| ===
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Best,
| >
| > What is the specific site? I will test it in my test machine.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| > | Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:44:21 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > |
| > | Hi Ken
| > |
| > | The error message is exactly this:
| > |
| > | IE Error # 80020009
| > | Unspecified error.
| > | Unspecified error
| > |
| > | It happens with only one particular site.
| > |
| > | I shall thank Jon for his input.
| > |
| > | Regards
| > |
| > | Best
| > |
| > | ====
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > refer

| > message

| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

I have received your email and performed further tests. However, I cannot
reproduce your issue on my test machine. At this moment, this issue only
occurs on this specific web site, I'd like to first suggest you reset all
IE settings to the defaults:

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click
Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that
you open Internet Explorer 7.
Note: If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES
from Internet Options in Control Panel.

923737: How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us

If you have any results, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:51:13 GMT
| Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| OK, my email:[email protected]
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| | Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:25:16 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| |
| | Hello Ken
| |
| | You need a password to access to it.
| |
| | If you'd give me you email address, I will send you the site which is
our
| | company's site and the screenshot.
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Best
| |
| | ===
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi Best,
| | >
| | > What is the specific site? I will test it in my test machine.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| first
| | > refer

| | > message

| | > |
| | > |

| |

Ken

I applied the RIES. It did not work.

Regards

Best

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Smain,

I have received your email and performed further tests. However, I cannot
reproduce your issue on my test machine. At this moment, this issue only
occurs on this specific web site, I'd like to first suggest you reset all
IE settings to the defaults:

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click
Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that
you open Internet Explorer 7.
Note: If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES
from Internet Options in Control Panel.

923737: How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us

If you have any results, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:51:13 GMT
| Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| OK, my email:[email protected]
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| | Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:25:16 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| |
| | Hello Ken
| |
| | You need a password to access to it.
| |
| | If you'd give me you email address, I will send you the site which is
our
| | company's site and the screenshot.
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Best
| |
| | ===
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi Best,
| | >
| | > What is the specific site? I will test it in my test machine.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| first
| | > refer

| | > message

| | > |
| | > |

| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

For the current situation, I suggest you try the following steps to repair
IE6.

1. Insert the Windows installation CD to the CD-ROM.
2. Click Start, and click Run.
3. Copy the command prompt below in the Open box, and click OK.

Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

4. It will display a "File Needed" screen, click "Browse.." and browse to
<CD-ROM drive>\i386, (<CD-ROOM drive> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM,
For example, D.
5. Click Open, click Ok, it should begin reinstalling Internet Explorer.

Note:
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may
receive the following error message:
------------------------
Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed
on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
------------------------
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet
Explorer, follow these steps:
1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click
Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled
(REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP,
use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

318378: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/>

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:09:08 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Ken
|
| I applied the RIES. It did not work.
|
| Regards
|
| Best
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Smain,
| >
| > I have received your email and performed further tests. However, I
cannot
| > reproduce your issue on my test machine. At this moment, this issue
only
| > occurs on this specific web site, I'd like to first suggest you reset
all
| > IE settings to the defaults:
| >
| > To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:
| >
| > 1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
| > 2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
| > 3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
| > 4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings,
click
| > Close, and then click OK two times.
| > 5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time
that
| > you open Internet Explorer 7.
| > Note: If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES
| > from Internet Options in Control Panel.
| >
| > 923737: How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us
| >
| > If you have any results, please feel free to let us know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:51:13 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: IE error # 80020009
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > |
| > | OK, my email:[email protected]
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |