Lost Add/Remove

K

Kevin T. Mahoney

Sirs (+/or Ms's.);
Lately, I've been unable to access the "Add/Remove File", either by stepping through Start/Settings/
Control Panel/Add-Remove..... , or by clicking the links when trying to delete icons and programs. When I
get to the add/rem, the file "begins" to open, then I get the error message:
"Object doesn't support this property or method"
"res://sp3res.dll/default.hta"
"Line: 82"
I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, and subscribe to Automatic Updates, and have had no luck trying
"Windows Registry Repair Pro", and no amount of Disk Cleaning seems to rectify this issue. I've also run the Microsoft Windows Live OneCare Protection/clean-up Scans, and they say that all is in order, and that there are no problems. Help if you can.

Thanx,
KTM, Saco, ME

S

Sky King

The "Windows Registry Repair Pro" is most likely the cause of your problem,
not the cure. Most so-called Registry cleaners and repair tools do more
damage than good.

What happens if, on the Start/Run line, you Enter: "control Appwiz.cpl" on
that system?

If you still get the same or similar errors, see the fixes listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668

--

....Sky

Tom "Sky" King
===========

In

K

Kevin T. Mahoney

Hi Sky,
I can see where you might think that way, BUT, the problem existed before I had downloaded the Reg.Rep.Pro Pack. I also downloaded, at that same time, a Free Trial AVG-Anti-Virus/Spyware and it alerted me to the existence of several Trojans with virii [ or is it viruses?], that migrated in on some "suspect" Internet sites and downloaded "crap". The perpetrators have been duly admonished since, and a dozen or so sites have been added to the "Restricted List". The RegRep actually was very helpful in eradicating all of the Crapware, when I couldn't Delete or Uninstall by the usual standard methods, but I fear some damage was done whilst the little critters did reside.

I'm in a "Shared Access" PC, a perk from the Apt. Bldg Mgr., in a community room, and now we are trying to repair/restore/upgrade to the best of our ability, relying on a little detective work, and the faithfulness of Microsoft and Windows Automatic Updating, and selective downloading.

I tried the Start/Run..., line, to no avail, BUT [TAA-DAA and cudo's] your link brought me to an answer, after several articles, I did a 'forced overwriting' of the IE6/OE6 SP1, and now the ADD/REMOVE function seems perfect!!!

Thanks,
Truly,
KTM, Saco, ME

The "Windows Registry Repair Pro" is most likely the cause of your problem,
not the cure. Most so-called Registry cleaners and repair tools do more
damage than good.

What happens if, on the Start/Run line, you Enter: "control Appwiz.cpl" on
that system?

If you still get the same or similar errors, see the fixes listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668

--

...Sky