Loose Drive Mapping on Windows 98 Client

G

I have a situation where we seem to loose the network connection on a regular basis to the server from our workstations

The server configuration is
Dell Serve
1 GB RA
2 x 35GB Disk
2 x P4 2.4 GHz Processor
Onboard Ni
Windows 2000 Server (Latest Service Pack installed

The Desktop Machines
All Compa
20 GB Disk
733 and 866 Mhz PIII Processor
256 MB RA
On Board NI
Windows 98 (Latest Updates other than Direct x 9

We have the situation when the PC is left for some time, say over lunch that the connection to the mapped drives disappears. The network connection is fine, the lights are on on the nic. When I look in Windows Explorer, the mapped drive has a red x through the mapping. If I click on the mapping, a few seconds later the mapped connection is re-established

The problem is that if any of the users are logged into our Accounts package which uses that network drive mapping, they end up with an error saying unable to find [filename].dbf. They then have to reboot the PC to make sure everything is OK and re open up the accounts application

Has anyone had the situation where drive mappings disconnect from a Windows 98 client connected to a Windows 2000 Server

If so, have any of you been able to get round this situation, is there any circumvention

Thanks in advance for your help

Neil

G

Greg Stigers

I think that this is probably a problem with your Windows 98 systems, which
makes this the wrong forum. But in brief, I would bet that your power
settings are powering down the NIC over lunch.

G

Thanks for the response Greg

Found the problem. MS KB Article 297684 seems to have done the trick. By default, mapped drives ay be disconnected by the server after a regular interval of inactivity, 15 minutes

I disabled the feature
net config server /autodisconnect:-

That seems to have fixed the problem

Thanks for your comments though

Neil

Ask a Question