Looking for: FREEWARE Summary

Vijay

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the friendly and helpful assistance here. Here
is a Summary of all the Freeware that I am looking for. Info./Web-
sites/any personal experience in this regard are appreciated. Thank
you in advance for any assistance.

Sincerely,

Vijay

NOTE: I am a fairly new member here. I did read the FAQ for this group
and have also been to www.pricelesswares.org However, still if there
are any repetitions or errors kindly ignore them. Thank you in
advance.

SUMMARY

1) I currently have a free Macro Maker. However, the limitation is
that I can't save a Macro I made as a .exe file. I would like a free
Macro Maker with this feature. (I tried Auto It, but that was too
complicated for me).

2) Bootup Error Fix Software.
I downloaded and ran a software that performs an analysis of my
bootlog.txt file. Several errors cameup. I would appreciate if there
is any freeware that will help in fixing these errors.

3)Personal Accounting Software
This is to help me balance my personal finance, bank accounts, daily
expenditure etc., Please share any info./web-sites/personal
experience.

4) Downloadable battleships Game.

5) Shortcut Repair
A few days ago I moved several folders from one directory to another.
This resulted in several brokern shortcuts. I am looking for a
freeware software to repair all my broken/invalid shortcuts.

6) Will Preparation Kit.

7) WEB EMail Spam Filter

8) Fax Program to Fax documents directly from my PC.

9) Flow Charts Creator

10) OCR and Scanned Forms Filling Software
(I tried Miraplacid) But that site wouldn't load.

Vijay

George Richards said:
Other Freeware Sites

Buzzy's Stall Wall
http://www.buzzys.net/index.html
Great reviews.

Quantum Illusions
http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com/
An excellent site that is maintained by one of acf's members.

Thanks for all these links. I will search them slowly. Meanwhile, if
anyone here has personally used any of the software that I am looking
for then please share the info. Personal experience/satifaction is the
best reference. It will save me some time. Thank you in advance.

Vijay

Lance M Hillier, Sr

Vijay said:
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the friendly and helpful assistance here. Here
is a Summary of all the Freeware that I am looking for. Info./Web-
sites/any personal experience in this regard are appreciated. Thank
you in advance for any assistance.
<snipped>
and don't forget Freeware Book 14 at
www.freewarearena.org

Enjoy,

John Fitzsimons

On 19 Aug 2003 05:03:49 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (Vijay) wrote:

1) I currently have a free Macro Maker. However, the limitation is
that I can't save a Macro I made as a .exe file.

This might help :

http://www.mrdo.com/1.html

Ghost Mouse.
I would like a free
Macro Maker with this feature. (I tried Auto It, but that was too
complicated for me).

< snip >

Yes, totally agree. Autoit is a very complicated program to (try to)
use. Ghost Mouse is far simpler. You just do what you want to do,
while recording, and then playback whenever you like. No need
to remember a huge list of commands.

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.aspects.org.au/index.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Vijay

Iain Cheyne said:
Persist with AutoIt! It's very powerful and easy once you understand the
basic concepts. Look at the examples carefully. They are almost self-
explanatory.

www.genie-design.net/battleship/ - I have not tried it. There are many
better strategy games than this.

The link and home page given above don't work.

I like SpamBayes as I use Outlook.

There are recommendations on www.pricelessware.org.

I got the Flow Charts program. I am having a tough time scaling it but
hope to learn. This time, I also checked the 2002 Pricelessware
Archive. Thanks for the helpful info.

Vijay

Vijay

John Fitzsimons said:
< snip >

Yes, totally agree. Autoit is a very complicated program to (try to)
use. Ghost Mouse is far simpler. You just do what you want to do,
while recording, and then playback whenever you like. No need
to remember a huge list of commands.

Regards, John.

As per the web page of Ghost Mouse, it appears that Ghost Mouse
doesn't record/recognize the keyboard. The new version that does this
is still not ready yet. Is this still valid ? Thanks.

Vijay

sabresonic

(e-mail address removed) (Vijay) wrote in
5) Shortcut Repair
A few days ago I moved several folders from one directory to another.
This resulted in several brokern shortcuts. I am looking for a
freeware software to repair all my broken/invalid shortcuts.

CM DiskCleaner is fantastic tool for cleaning your hard drive from gabage
and temp files. it can also delete broken shortcuts

http://www.webattack.com/get/cmdisk.shtml

BillR

Vijay,

Please review posts from the last 12 months for information about the
many different categories you listed. The google groups aren't quite
complete, but are a good source.

For example you asked about Personal Accounting Software. You will
find several applicable threads listing roughly a dozen programs.
Many of these include "personal" experience. Here are excerpts from
two of the first four I picked.

July 29, 2003 thread "Repost personal finance manager "

Dec 11, 2002 thread "Ms-Money freeware alternative for UK?"

Note, I've snipped most comments and all descriptions as well as
skipping some respondents that duplicate those below.

R.L.
http://www.kreatives.org/kreatives.html

NoWay:
http://www.printmychecks.com/

Bebop&Rocksteady:
http://members.tripod.com/dale_forsyth/accounting.htm

R.L. suggested 6 more:
This is a list that I kept, hope that it could be helpful.

Relatively new:
AceMoney (about 400kb)
http://www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/

Some older ones:

1. Cash Express 2000 (development ceased)
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7502,00.asp

2. Budget:
http://budget_support.home.att.net/windows.html

3. HOME BOOKKEEPING LITE (Requires free registration with email
information)
http://www.keep-soft.com/hbkl/index.html

4. BillVue Bill Organizer (this might not exactly what you want but
nevertheless a relevant program)
http://www.knowware-soft.com/freeware.htm
approx. size 2.55 MB

5. Panda Money
http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Home/4314.htm

A big one:
Personal Finance Journal 1.4 (lite version, 15.1 MB)
http://www.omni-hitech.com/prod/PFJ.html

BillR

[email protected] (Vijay) wrote in message news: said:
3)Personal Accounting Software
This is to help me balance my personal finance, bank accounts, daily
expenditure etc., Please share any info./web-sites/personal
experience.
<Snip>

Vijay,
And one more I quickly found, IngenMoney Pro v3.0.
http://www.ingenlab.com/

On home page; "Everyone's a winner, IngenMoney V3.0 is now freeware !" (sic)
On license page: "IngenMoney Pro is distributed freely for personal usage only."

I've never used it, but it received a number of 5/5 and editor's pick ratings.

BillR

John Fitzsimons

And one more I quickly found, IngenMoney Pro v3.0.
http://www.ingenlab.com/

< snip >

Crippleware ?

"IngenMoney Pro is distributed freely
for personal usage only. The free
license is valid for a period of one full
year at the time, and must be renewed
online on a yearly basis within 2
months of its expiration. "

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.aspects.org.au/index.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

John Fitzsimons

As per the web page of Ghost Mouse, it appears that Ghost Mouse
doesn't record/recognize the keyboard. The new version that does this
is still not ready yet. Is this still valid ? Thanks.

No idea. Why not try it and see ? I use Ghost mouse every day and it
works perfectly. Everything I want to do automatically can be done via
the mouse.

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.aspects.org.au/index.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Vijay

Vijay,

Please review posts from the last 12 months for information about the
many different categories you listed. The google groups aren't quite
complete, but are a good source.

For example you asked about Personal Accounting Software. You will
find several applicable threads listing roughly a dozen programs.
Many of these include "personal" experience. Here are excerpts from
two of the first four I picked.

Thanks for this tip and the helpful info.

July 29, 2003 thread "Repost personal finance manager "

Dec 11, 2002 thread "Ms-Money freeware alternative for UK?"

Note, I've snipped most comments and all descriptions as well as
skipping some respondents that duplicate those below.

R.L.
http://www.kreatives.org/kreatives.html

Not compatible with my monitor setting.

Just for printing checks.

Site not valid.

R.L. suggested 6 more:
This is a list that I kept, hope that it could be helpful.

Relatively new:
AceMoney (about 400kb)
http://www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/

They offer an upgrade version. Very hesitant to use this software.

Some older ones:

1. Cash Express 2000 (development ceased)
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7502,00.asp

This seems to be the best. However, it says 31 days evaluation copy
and is shareware. The web-site is down. No longer supported. Not sure,
if it will work after 31 days.

I have this. It is not great at all.
3. HOME BOOKKEEPING LITE (Requires free registration with email
information)
http://www.keep-soft.com/hbkl/index.html

This doesn't support the Export feature. Need to upgrade for that.
Otherwise, all Data entered is pretty much stuck. The Lite version is
quite limited.

4. BillVue Bill Organizer (this might not exactly what you want but
nevertheless a relevant program)
http://www.knowware-soft.com/freeware.htm
approx. size 2.55 MB

Looks mostly for business.

Site no longer valid.
A big one:
Personal Finance Journal 1.4 (lite version, 15.1 MB)
http://www.omni-hitech.com/prod/PFJ.html

Too big for me.

Also, the other software Inguen money works, wouldn't even install
properly. I tried for sometime to get it running, but after I entered
my initial password, everytime it got stuck in that screen during the
initial setup. Finally, I gaveup and uninstalled it. Besides, the
yearly registration seems suspicious.

Several accounting software seem to need resolution 1024. I have a
resolution of 800 and would prefer a program compatible with this. I
will still keep looking and searching for a good personal accounting
program. Meanwhile, if anyone here comes across a good one, please
share it here. Thanks in advance.

Vijay

BillR

<Snipped suggestions and Vijay's response>

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with your quest.

(BTW, IngenMoney v2 was free for personal use also. Reregistration
every 14 months does make you wonder about future plans. Don't think
I'd call it "crippleware" though.

BillR

Susan Bugher

BillR said:
(BTW, IngenMoney v2 was free for personal use also. Reregistration
every 14 months does make you wonder about future plans. Don't think
I'd call it "crippleware" though.

Trialware might be a reasonable classification - if there is no
guarantee you will always be able to reregister it - and it stops
working if you don't/can't reregister.

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/info2003PL.htm

<quote>
Trialware: software which stops working after a period of time or number
of
uses.
</quote>

Susan

Susan Bugher

Aaron said:
Talking about email filters, is anyone going to nominate this one for
pricelessware this year? Or will it be the usual Popfile,spampal,
Mailwasher and I suspect K9 this year?

PS i find the classification between "eMail Manager" and "eMail Spam
Tool" quite vague.Not that it matters?

Hi Aaron,

I grouped similar categories in this year's PL - the "eMail Manager" and
"eMail Spam Tool" categories are next to each other. I think grouping
helps people find the program they want . . .

Each program has its own mix of features so a vague boundary tends to be
the rule rather than the exception - but perhaps this boundary could be
more clearly defined . . .

FYI - I intend to upload a web page with the list of proposed 2004
categories for discussion and revision (just a copy of this year's
categories to start with).

and yes, I think categories matter. ;)

Susan

Susan Bugher

BillR said:
Yes, although an apparently renewable annually period doesn't fit my
preconceptions of trialware. I have a similar problem with demoware.
Oh well, another of those hard to classify licenses that are not
strictly freeware in John's nomenclature.

IIRC there is a program with a trial period of 13 years - posts about it
note it's trialware - the length of the trial is mentioned . . .

It's not demo-ware if it's a full version.

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/info2003PL.htm

<quote>
Demo-ware: software that is intended to give potential purchasers an
idea of
how the program works. Not a full version, type of limitation varies.
</quote>

Susan