Looking for DVD recorders...

Diogenes

DelphiDude said:
Shouldn't matter unless you are copying movies. I have one XP and two
Debian boxes and any of them work with my Sony and Memorex burners.
I can mix and match drives between OS's and neither one cares.

I usually use the Linux burners for backups because it is quick -
drag, drop, burn. I usually even backup XP over samba. With Nero on
XP, it does just as good a burn job but it is click, pulldown,
doubleclick, backup, drag, oops, dump, swear, blink at sudden popup,
drink swig of Dr Pepper, look for right icon, cross fingers, and burn.

Perhaps it is such trouble for you because linux made you stupid.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

Skyse Ezeor said:
relic (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
I bur a lot of DVD's and I've tried several, I now buy only Plextor
burners.

Plexter? I understood sony was favored. [all change!] :-D

Yah, well, I'm boycotting anything from Sony due to its total
disregard for its customers (google for "Sony Spyware" sometime ...) I'm
not crazy - haven't ditched this Trinitron monitor yet B) But it's on the
"Replace when possible" list.
Nero still favorite for burning s/w?
Yep.

Cheers boss! From your experience, how often can you rerecord on them?

None on DVD/Rs. I've not tried DVD/RWs since I tend to want to make
a permanent copy B) But while learning, you can use them.
How far off is double layered double sided would you say?

Why? You'd still have to take the disk out and flip it over. Makes
more sense to use a pair of DL disks.

And with HD-DVD and BluRay coming down the pike, I bet never.

There are technical reasons to not do double-sided burning, too ...
but those are surmountable.

RwP

Skyse Ezeor

relic (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
[email protected]:
Skyse said:
relic (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
[email protected]:
Skyse Ezeor wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and
the other for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box,
or shouldn't that matter?

Will I need to buy two different DVD's or more? And will I need to
make sure they have the appropriate dirvers? I have done searches
on Google for the DVD and medium but I would like opinions on
favourites any of you have.

I just know this is going to be a ruddy nightmare.

Thanks a bundle.

I burn a lot of DVD's and I've tried several, I now buy only Plextor
burners.

Plextor? I understood sony was favored. [all change!] :-D

I never did like any kind of Sony products. I bought some store-brand
media that were made by Sony and found them to be of marginal
quality. I settled on Plextor because of their burning quality and
their speed. The IDE version runs at UDMA-4 and they make a SATA
drive too.

Coming from you then, Plextor is what I will go for, cheers r ;)
I haven't tried Pioneer, but I hear good things from others about
them. BTC is marketing one using the Emprex brand name that seems to
be both cheap and good.

It depends on what you're burning. If it's DVD Movies, Nero gets
disqualified pretty quick. In fact, I don't like Nero for _any_ kind
of DVD burning; I really only use it for CD burning. 99% of my DVD
burning is done with VSO's CopyToDVD. (If you need a ripper, it
doesn't include one. Check 1ClickDVDCopy, it includes a CopyToDVD
Light.)

I'll take a look at what you recommend.
Nero does have one good DVD Movie product; Nero Recode. It's too slow
to use a lot, but it is excellent at recovering a bad copy of a DVD
Movie.
Right.

I don't use too many -RW's, DVD-R(+R) are cheap. The RW's I have in
stock have only been reused maybe a dozen times.

That's impressive! I'll more than likely go with what you have cited.
Haven't seen any blanks yet. One sided Ritek-DL's are now less than
$2.

OK. Ta!

relic

Skyse said:
I'll take a look at what you recommend.

Did you know that if you get the free copy of CopyToDVD Light Edition
installed, you can download and install the full version? ;-)

Skyse Ezeor

Ralph Wade Phillips (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
(e-mail address removed):
Howdy!

Skyse Ezeor said:
relic (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
I bur a lot of DVD's and I've tried several, I now buy only Plextor
burners.

Plexter? I understood sony was favored. [all change!] :-D

Yah, well, I'm boycotting anything from Sony due to its total
disregard for its customers (google for "Sony Spyware" sometime ...)
I'm not crazy - haven't ditched this Trinitron monitor yet B) But
it's on the "Replace when possible" list.

<nods head in agreement>

I was mistaken about the sony quote I made. It was some post from '04 that
had a best buy recommendation of a Sony DVD.
None on DVD/Rs. I've not tried DVD/RWs since I tend to want
to make a permanent copy B) But while learning, you can use them.

Why? You'd still have to take the disk out and flip it over.
Makes more sense to use a pair of DL disks.

Sure - I was thinking more of double laser optic contaption of some kind.
And with HD-DVD and BluRay coming down the pike, I bet never.

There are technical reasons to not do double-sided burning,
too ... but those are surmountable.

Thanks for your input!

Tim Smith

You are obviously a guru and I wish I could understand half of what you
wrote.

If you could understand half of what he wrote, you'd know nothing. Put
it this way: if "Coast to Coast AM" was about computers, instead of
about conspiracy theories, psychics, UFOs, etc, then Rex would be a
frequent guest.

Weatherlawyer

Tim said:
If you could understand half of what he wrote, you'd know nothing. Put
it this way: if "Coast to Coast AM" was about computers, instead of
about conspiracy theories, psychics, UFOs, etc, then Rex would be a
frequent guest.
Did you know that this newsgroup is international?

(For people who think America is that little bit of both that is just
south of Canada; that was a subtle hint that the allegory was wasted on
me.)

nos1eep

On 24 Dec 2005 16:07:36 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
<[email protected]> spewed the following drivel:

<
<Tim Smith wrote:
<>
<> > You are obviously a guru and I wish I could understand half of
what you
<> > wrote.
<>
<> If you could understand half of what he wrote, you'd know nothing.
Put
<> it this way: if "Coast to Coast AM" was about computers, instead of
<> about conspiracy theories, psychics, UFOs, etc, then Rex would be a
<> frequent guest.
<>
<Did you know that this newsgroup is international?
<
<(For people who think America is that little bit of both that is just
<south of Canada; that was a subtle hint that the allegory was wasted
on
<me.)

I have been looking forward to the news that you have been wasted.
--

-nos1eep

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a shit-head?
A. Depth perception.

-Scaling up the heights of folly.
-non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate

Tim Smith

Did you know that this newsgroup is international?

(For people who think America is that little bit of both that is just
south of Canada; that was a subtle hint that the allegory was wasted on
me.)

I gave enough of a description of what is covered on "Coast to Coast AM"
to let you figure it out, I think. (And Google works internationally,
at least according to the rumors I've heard...).

Weatherlawyer

Tim said:
I gave enough of a description of what is covered on "Coast to Coast AM"
to let you figure it out, I think. (And Google works internationally,
at least according to the rumors I've heard...).
The trick is to use Usenet as though more than you understand it.

Julie

Weatherlawyer said:
The trick is to use Usenet as though more than you understand it.

"The trick is to use Usenet as though more than you understand it."

I give up. Where can I get the secret decoder ring?

Weatherlawyer

Julie said:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

"The trick is to use Usenet as though more than you understand it."

I give up. Where can I get the secret decoder ring?
The ring is humanity and the code is truth. Anything less will fail
ignominiously on this planet, sooner or later.

Nigel Feltham

relic said:
I bur a lot of DVD's and I've tried several, I now buy only Plextor
burners.

Media: TDK, Memorex, and Fuji are the worst! Sony and Taiyo Yuden are
marginal, Verbatim and Ritek are the best. Rebranded Ritek's, "Dysan" are
being tested now.

Watch out for brands that are unknown to yourself - if in doubt google for
reviews first or buy a small quantity to test before buying too many.

When I first bought my burner 2 years ago I made the mistake of ebaying a
spindle of 100 'burnstar' which turned out to be fake TDK's (they used
TDK's disk ID's without permission) with over 50% failure rate mostly due
to scratches caused by the use of poor quality inks in the labelling (the
inks used for logo were etching into the surface of disc above on spindle)
- I now mostly use Infinity brand and annoyingly about 9 months ago bought
300 of these for about the same as I paid for the faulty batch, so far I've
used nearly 100 (a mixture of PC and Standalone DVD VCR use) with under 10%
failure rate (and some of these were caused by 'user error').

Nigel Feltham

Skyse said:
Sure - I was thinking more of double laser optic contaption of some kind.

Possible to do but unlikely as switching sides would still cause a delay -
the disc would need to stop and reverse direction each time as the blanks
are encoded with a spiral that goes in same direction on both sides (used
for head position tracking during recording).

For proof hold a CD and slowly turn it clockwise when viewed from top - now
look at what direction bottom of disc turning, something you may not have
thought of?

It could be done by using a blank with spirals in opposite directions but
then the media may only work in recorder one way up and the second side
would never record or play on any currently manufactured hardware, would a
DVD+/-R/RW system with no backwards compatibility of media and limited
advantage over existing formats ever sell (especially with HD-DVD and
Blu-ray on the horizon)?

The only optical media device I've ever seen that could access both sides is
the old analogue laserdisc in a high-end player, even then it took about 4
or 5 seconds to reverse direction and stabilise speed each time side was
switched.

JEDIDIAH

Hi!

I'm looking for a DVD recorder, one for my XP/2003 server box and the other
for my multi-boot 98SE/W2k, Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu box, or shouldn't that
matter?

Just go into the local Frys and buy whatever is on sale.

[deletia]

DVD-R will be easier to deal with in terms of Linux utils.
In general, burners are bog standard devices. Just stay
away from LG since they like to play fast and loose with
standards.