Locked out of my computer

laurahatescomputers

Before I start this, let me say I am not fluent in computer speak, so if you
try to help, dumb it down.
So my computer basically crashed and I had to restore Microsoft XP. Only now
it is asking for a password to let me get to the start page, and there have
never been passwords on this computer that I know of.
I tried hitting F8 at start up and nothing happened.
So I tried hitting F2 and it took me to the set up menu. I went to the
security tab, where it appears to let you set the User and Admin passwords,
but when I try to type them in to login, it doesn't work. It also won't let
the password space stay blank.
How do I get in?

nass

laurahatescomputers said:
Before I start this, let me say I am not fluent in computer speak, so if you
try to help, dumb it down.
So my computer basically crashed and I had to restore Microsoft XP. Only now
it is asking for a password to let me get to the start page, and there have
never been passwords on this computer that I know of.
I tried hitting F8 at start up and nothing happened.
So I tried hitting F2 and it took me to the set up menu. I went to the
security tab, where it appears to let you set the User and Admin passwords,
but when I try to type them in to login, it doesn't work. It also won't let
the password space stay blank.
How do I get in?

Read the instructions on how to remove reset the password on this link and
download the tool and extract to CD/DVD and Boot up and follow the
instructions.

HTH,
nass

Anna

nass said:
Read the instructions on how to remove reset the password on this link and
download the tool and extract to CD/DVD and Boot up and follow the
instructions.

HTH,
nass

Laura:
It sounds like when you "restored" the XP operating system (OS) you
inadvertently created a password even if you didn't mean to.

The link that "nass" referred you to contains a program that's designed to
change the password in the XP OS so that it becomes a blank password.

So try this...

1. On the top of the webpage click on the "Bootdisk" button.
2. In the "Download" section toward the bottom of that page click on the
cd080802.zip file and download it to your Desktop. Note it's a ZIP file so
the contents of that file will have to be extracted.
3. I assume you know how to do this by merely right-clicking on the ZIP
file, click on Extract All, Next, Next, Finish.
4. A folder will be created on your Desktop titled "cd080802".
5. Inside that folder will be the cd080802.iso file. It's this .iso file
that allows you to create a bootable CD from that .iso image.
6. Hopefully, you have a CD-burning program, e.g., Nero, Roxio, etc., that
allows you to merely double-click on the .iso file and the program will open
and create a bootable CD from that .iso image. If you don't have such a
program perhaps you have a friend or acquaintance who does and he or she can
help you with creating the bootable CD. There are other programs available
on the net that allow you to do this as well - one popular program is the
freely-available ISO Recorder program - see
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Now that you've created the bootable CD that's designed to reset your
password, insert the CD in your optical drive and boot to it.

The following are step-by-step instructions for using the program. The
example involved is a single-partitioned HDD, but the basic steps are the
same for any size HDD, except where the drive is multi-partitioned. If the
latter is the case the steps will be slightly different but they will not be
unduly complicated or substantially different under those circumstances.

As you progress through the screens the information provided and steps
involved may look more complicated than they really are. In virtually every
step during the process the user will simply be pressing the Enter key or
some other simple keystroke. So don't be intimidated by what appears to be a
lengthy & complicated process. It really isn't.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Case is important when responding to the prompts so ensure
you enter the correct lower or upper case.

1. Hopefully your PC is set up so that it will boot to a bootable CD. If
it's not, change the motherboard's BIOS boot priority setting so that the
CD-ROM (optical drive) is first in boot priority.

2. Boot to the password reset CD. At the first screen you will see the
"boot:" prompt.
Press Enter.

3. "Step ONE" is to select the drive on which the Windows OS is installed.
If the drive has been multi-partitioned all the partitions will be listed.
The prompt ("Step ONE") will be "Select: [1]".
Press Enter assuming [1] is the boot partition. Otherwise enter the correct
number of the partition containing boot system.

4. The next prompt ("Step TWO") will be "What is the path to the registry
directory? (relative to windows disk) [WINDOWS/system32/config]:".
Once again, press Enter.

5. The next prompt will list a number of options of which [1] is "Password
reset...". Press Enter.

6. The next prompt at "Step THREE: Password or registry edit" will list
three options. The default prompt "[1]" will reflect the first option, "Edit
user data and passwords".
Again, press Enter.

The next prompt will ask for the username listing the default
[Administrator]. Enter your username (ensuring that you enter the proper
case, e.g., LAURA), and press Enter.

The "User Edit Menu" will display listing various options. The first option
is to "Clear (blank) user password" so enter "1" at the prompt.
The confirmation "Password cleared!" message should appear.

7. At the next prompt enter "!" (exclamation mark) to quit the "User Edit
Menu". Press Enter.

8. At the next prompt enter "q" to quit the process.

9. At "Step FOUR" enter "y" to write changes. Press Enter.

10. At the "EDIT COMPLETE" message, press Enter to confirm ending the
process.

11. The "#" prompt will appear indicating termination of the process. Remove
the CD and reboot.

Hopefully your Administrator's password has been reset to a blank password
and you should gain access to your system.
Anna

Daave

"laurahatescomputers" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Before I start this, let me say I am not fluent in computer speak, so
if you
try to help, dumb it down.
So my computer basically crashed and I had to restore Microsoft XP.
Only now
it is asking for a password to let me get to the start page, and there
have
never been passwords on this computer that I know of.
I tried hitting F8 at start up and nothing happened.
So I tried hitting F2 and it took me to the set up menu. I went to the
security tab, where it appears to let you set the User and Admin
passwords,
but when I try to type them in to login, it doesn't work. It also
won't let
the password space stay blank.
How do I get in?

What is the make and model of your PC? What method did you use to
"restore Microsoft XP"?

Mickey Mouse

Boot the pc and when you get to the logon screen press Ctrl Alt Del.
You will get to another logon screen and type Admistrator for the user name,
do not type a password and press enter. You should now be in!
Then go to the following link.

hope this helps
Mickey