Link to History not working

JohnM

Hi,
I am trying to link an email in my inbox from a sender who is not in any of
my contacts to the history one of my business contacts.
I open up the email, fill in the Link to History boxes (with a valid
business contact) and save and close. The email does not show up in the
Business Contact History for that contact.
Q1. Are my expectations correct in that I should be able to do this?
Q2. If so, any clues as to why not working?
Thanks,
John

John Christian

John:

I've had the same issue. I think that it is a bug, though I haven't dug
into it fully.

John

Bob Cooley

Hi John and John, <g>

This should work for you. Sometimes you won't see the history because of a
corrupt forms cache, which is a known issue. Try these steps and see if
you can successfully link this email to a biz contact:

Click on Tools, Options
Click on the Other tab
Click on the Advanced Options button
Click on the Custom Forms button
Click on the Manage Forms button
Click on the Set.. button and choose Personal Forms from the dropdown list
under the Forms Library section. Click OK.
Using the Ctrl+click method, highlight these items:
Account
Business Activity
Business Contact
Business Note
Business Phone Log
Opportunity
Click on the Delete button to delete these copies of the forms.
Click on the Clear Cache button to remove the cache.
Click on the Close button.
Click OK three times to back out of the menus.
Close Outlook and restart.

Notice that I did NOT mention the deletion of the frmcache.dat file, which
many people do. In this scenario, deleting the file sometimes works, but
the error almost always comes back soon after. If you use this method
above, it should hold the fix long enough until Office 2003 SP1 is
released, which will be in the not-too-distant-future. <g>

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Bob Cooley, MCSE
Supportability Program Manager
for Outlook & BCM
--------------------
| From: "John Christian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Link to History not working
| Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:15:16 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.bcm
|
| John:
|
| I've had the same issue. I think that it is a bug, though I haven't dug
| into it fully.
|
| John
|
| | > Hi,
| > I am trying to link an email in my inbox from a sender who is not in any
| of
| > my contacts to the history one of my business contacts.
| > I open up the email, fill in the Link to History boxes (with a valid
| > business contact) and save and close. The email does not show up in the
| > Business Contact History for that contact.
| > Q1. Are my expectations correct in that I should be able to do this?
| > Q2. If so, any clues as to why not working?
| > Thanks,
| > John

John Christian

Bob:

I tried this and it didn't work. I deleted all the forms on the left side
of the dialogue box and restarted. When I try to link an email to an
opportunity I get a fatal error. Outlook doesn't close; the email is not
linked to the opportunity.

You should be able to link emails to opportunities, right?

Will BCM be upgraded/refreshed with SP1? If so, can you spill any details?

John

JohnM

Hi Bob,
When thru all you steps but I'm afraid this fix didn't work for me either.
Cheers,
John

Bob Cooley

Hello Gentlemen,

Sorry it didn't work - this functionality is available, though - I've
repro'd it on two different machines...

The forms cache fix is included in Office 2003 SP1, due to release this
summer, tenatively. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that
is a known issue that may be causing this - have either of you checked what
addins you have installed in Outlook? Perhaps there is a conflict... If
no addins, perhaps trying to create a new Outlook profile and
re-associating BCM with it may help...

Regards,

Bob Cooley, MCSE
Supportability Program Manager
for Outlook & BCM
--------------------
| From: "JohnM" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Link to History not working
| Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:25:19 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.bcm
|
| Hi Bob,
| When thru all you steps but I'm afraid this fix didn't work for me either.
| Cheers,
| John
|

| | > Hi John and John, <g>
| >
| > This should work for you. Sometimes you won't see the history because
of
| > corrupt forms cache, which is a known issue. Try these steps and see if
| > you can successfully link this email to a biz contact:
| >
| > Click on Tools, Options
| > Click on the Other tab
| > Click on the Advanced Options button
| > Click on the Custom Forms button
| > Click on the Manage Forms button
| > Click on the Set.. button and choose Personal Forms from the dropdown
list
| > under the Forms Library section. Click OK.
| > Using the Ctrl+click method, highlight these items:
| > Account
| > Business Activity
| > Business Contact
| > Business Note
| > Business Phone Log
| > Opportunity
| > Click on the Delete button to delete these copies of the forms.
| > Click on the Clear Cache button to remove the cache.
| > Click on the Close button.
| > Click OK three times to back out of the menus.
| > Close Outlook and restart.
| >
| > Notice that I did NOT mention the deletion of the frmcache.dat file,
which
| > many people do. In this scenario, deleting the file sometimes works,
but
| > the error almost always comes back soon after. If you use this method
| > above, it should hold the fix long enough until Office 2003 SP1 is
| > released, which will be in the not-too-distant-future. <g>
| >
| > Hope this helps...
| >
| > Regards,
| >

| > Bob Cooley, MCSE
| > Supportability Program Manager
| > for Outlook & BCM

John Christian

Bob:

So you can link any arbitrary email to an Opportunity?

Aside from BCM, I have no other addins installed.

John

Bob Cooley

Hi John,

You can link any email to either an Opportunity, Business Contact, or
Account ...

Bob Cooley, MCSE
Supportability Program Manager
for Outlook & BCM
--------------------
| From: "John Christian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Link to History not working
| Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:40:42 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.bcm
|
| Bob:
|
| So you can link any arbitrary email to an Opportunity?
|
| Aside from BCM, I have no other addins installed.
|
| John
|
| | > Hello Gentlemen,
| >
| > Sorry it didn't work - this functionality is available, though - I've
| > repro'd it on two different machines...
| >
| > The forms cache fix is included in Office 2003 SP1, due to release this
| > summer, tenatively. I can't think of anything off the top of my head
that
| > is a known issue that may be causing this - have either of you checked
| what
| > addins you have installed in Outlook? Perhaps there is a conflict...
If
| > no addins, perhaps trying to create a new Outlook profile and
| > re-associating BCM with it may help...
| >
| > Regards,
| >

| > Bob Cooley, MCSE
| > Supportability Program Manager
| > for Outlook & BCM
| > --------------------
| > | From: "JohnM" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Link to History not working
| > | Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:25:19 +0100
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.bcm

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP0
| > 8.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi Bob,
| > | When thru all you steps but I'm afraid this fix didn't work for me
| either.
| > | Cheers,
| > | John
| > |
| > |

| > of
| if

| > list

| > which
| > but

| > |
| > |
| > |

Chester

Bob,
I sure wish you could, but unfourtunatly, with the bugs that are currently
in BCM, this functionality is causing Outlook/BCM to crash. Sure wish MS
would release a patch, upgrade, or fix to what could be a tremendous
program...if only it worked!

Chester

John Christian

Bob:

Well, it certainly is not working on my computer. Guaranteed to cause a
crash everytime.

Since I don't have any other add-ins installed (except, I guess, for the
Outlook MSN connector), I'll try your suggestions to see if that helps...

John

Zhiing Zhao

Hi,

My emails were not being attached to contacts with the "Link to
History" option either but I realized why. When I close the email item
that I wanted to link, I would get a "Save Changes" confirmation
dialog which I would answer no to. I realized that I needed to save
changes, then the item appeared in my contact's history.

Hope that helps.