Licensing and Sysprep

Hi All,

The company I work for has a bunch of computers with XP pro on them, but it
doesn't have a volume license - only a OEM license that comes with each
machine.

Currently, we have images that were originally created from the OEM's image
that came on the machine. The product ID is therefore the same for every
machine we image. Is this a licensing violation? We have individual
licenses for every copy of XP that we are using, but the product key that has
been entered is the same.

I have also built a couple of images from scratch with a single copy of XP
that we have. Again, we have individual licenses for everything but the
product key being used is the same. Is this any more or less of a violation
than duplicating the OEM image?

Now...on the images that I have built from scratch I don't have any problem
running Sysprep, but on the OEM image I get this error:

"There is an incompatibility between this tool and the current operating
system."

I understand from Microsoft's "Unsupported Sysprep scenarios" that OEM
images will not work with Sysprep.

If we are in violation of our licensing agreement with Microsoft, how can we
trade in our OEM individual licences for a volume license? Is this even
possible? What problems could arise in the future with respect to MS Genuine
Advantage Validation if we stay as we are?

Thanks in advance,

RPD

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
<
<"There is an incompatibility between this tool and the current operating
<system."

I suspect something is installed that is causing the error. The OEM media
by itself does not not generate this error message.
This error can be seen by running sysprep on a domain controller for
example. It's blocked.
This error can be seen with running a version of sysprep that doesn't work
with product( like trying to run Windows 2000 sysprep on Windows XP for
example, it's a versioning issue where sometimes older versions of syprep
do not work with new versions of the OS)
Certain other installed drivers or applications can cause this as well/

<I understand from Microsoft's "Unsupported Sysprep scenarios" that OEM
<images will not work with Sysprep.
It's not that they don't work, it's that they are not supported. Since
there are changes like drivers, applications, configuration changes that
are available to OEM's that can affect sysprep bahavior, Microsoft does not
support the running of Sysprep on OEM media, except to the OEM itself.

The fact the same product is used is really not an issue, OEMS that ship
SLP OEM media use the same product key on all their machines. That is not a
problem.

You may want to check with www.microsoft.com\licensing for some of the
volume licensing options. The OEM media licenses that you own should count
towards your volume license count as I understand it. But you should check
to be sure

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?UlBE?= <[email protected]>