Laptop overheating problem

Reaction score
I have two laptops, a Dell Inspiron 5150 and Acer Aspire 5040, and both of them have problems with the processor overheating. If the CPU is ever at 100 percent usage for more than a minute or two, the computer automatically shuts off. Now I think the fans are clogged and need to be replaced, but I don't have the tools to do it on my own, or the money to send the computers in for repairs (warranty is already expired). But I read about how there are cooling pads for the laptop.

My question is, will laptop cooling pads solve my problem with the processor overheating? And are there any good models people could recommend or have experience with? If this could work, it would be an ideal and inexpensive solution to my problems.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Dojuan

Lets start with your Acer..If the fan was clogged or not working in anyway your laptop would would shut down before it even got to the logon screen..A built in feature of Acers..Both laptops could well have dust build up inside them that causes poor ventilation and over heating..The Acer is extremely easy to open..Flip it on its lid and remove the battery. There are about 20 screws to be taken out..Make sure you keep the screws in the order you remove them..As some screws are longer that others and if reset in the wrong holes can dmge the MoBo..Once screws are out, from the front edge of the laptop start to lift the base cover off, as you do so you'll hear clicking, thts just locating clips coming loose..Once base cover is off, the CPU fan is in the open and ready to be cleaned out....As for the Dell it is pretty much the same thing..Just a matter of patience when opening them up.
There could also be other answers to why they are both running at 100%, what sort of things are you doing whenthis happens..??
As for cooling fans, have a look HERE

Ask a Question