Laptop for Internet surfing & photo editng

Reaction score
Hi im looking for a laptop for my mum. She surfs the internet word proccesses and uploads pictures. her budget is at around £400.00 I have been looking at laptops from laptops direct as they seem to have good prices and good specs. I have a few questions though. Nearly all the laptops around come with vista basic or home premium installed. I Understand that vista needs a fairly decent system to run smoothly without lagging or freezing. I have a dell with a dual core processor and 2Gb of ram and that seems to run smoothly with vista. So i was thinking of specs like this

Dual core Processor speed 2Ghz or more
Minimum of 2GB Ram But most laptops i look at come with at least 3Gb installed
15.4 Inch screen
Intergrated graphics
160Gb HDD mimimum

Will these specs make vista run smoothly ?
Also do acer and leveno make good laptops ?

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Tesco are selling the Dell 1525's at the mo and have been for around the last 2 months or more, I bought my daughter one and it flies with Vista...
They can be had in Tesco's for £349 and come with everything WiFi, Dual core processors, 200GB HDD, 3gb ram, 2 year RTB warranty..

Ideal for someone with a budget of £400 as leaves a little over for other goodies..

You can't go wrong really...:nod:

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replys.
It seems the dell laptop has gone up to £360 but still a good laptop for the price
The toshiba laptop on staples seems like a good price too
Do lenovo make good laptops ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Lenovo purchased IBM's PC division (think thinkpad), which now makes them the 4th largest PC manufacturer after HP, Dell & Acer. ;)

Dunno if they is any good though.

Out of all four of them, if I was in the market for a laptop ... I'd choose a Toshiba. :D

You do know why they is using 3GB and not going full throttle with 4GB, don't you? ;)

:user:

Reaction score
My recommendation is anything other than HP. I like Dell, Acer, Toshiba, but my experience with HP as been nearly all negative. (Support, system functionality, etc.)

I'm not a big laptop user though, so there isn't really one model that I could point out as best. I would recommend a minimum of 3GB of RAM with Vista. 2 Ghz sounds good, too.

Joe

Reaction score
muckshifter Lenovo purchased IBM's PC division (think thinkpad), which now makes them the 4th largest PC manufacturer after HP, Dell & Acer.
wink.gif

Dunno if they is any good though.

Out of all four of them, if I was in the market for a laptop ... I'd choose a Toshiba.
biggrin.gif

You do know why they is using 3GB and not going full throttle with 4GB, don't you?
wink.gif

Why is it beacuse of the 32bit os ?

Ask a Question