Kodak 5300 print problems

the-changling

I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The
printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need
it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it
and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was
very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new
print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now
after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print
head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep
cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that
would be. But that was the best they can do.

Is this normal for this printer? I am thinking it is.

Thanks in advance.

Printer Bob

I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The
printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need
it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it
and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was
very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new
print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now
after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print
head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep
cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that
would be. But that was the best they can do.

Is this normal for this printer?

In your particular case, yes. You print something only every other month
and then call Kodak to complain the printer is clogged. You get it going
again and then wait another month letting the printer clog. The cycle of
clogging and unclogging is your own doing. Use it more regularly. Print
something - anything! - once or twice weekly and everyone will be happy,
even you.

measekite

the-changling said:
I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The
printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need
it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it
and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was
very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new
print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now
after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print
head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep
cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that
would be. But that was the best they can do.

Is this normal for this printer? I am thinking it is.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think there is a Kodak representative frequenting this group
doing public relations. That is so people like you will buy it. Now I
have a Canon IP4000 (current version is the IP4300) and have left it on
(but unused) for a month and never even had to do any cleaning. But Of
Course I use only OEM ink. I want the best results, longest life and
not print clogging.

measekite

Printer Bob wrote:

the-changling <[email protected]> wrote in news:1184793198.393517.84320 @e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Those statements are absurd.  If one goes on a 6 week vacation they should not have to expect that their equipment would be ruined including but not limited to computer equipment.  Let say you bought a Canon 5D for use on vacations.  You waited 8 months to take a vacation.  You should not expect the Camera to be ruined.

Greg Cisko

Printer Bob said:
In your particular case, yes. You print something only every other month
and then call Kodak to complain the printer is clogged. You get it going
again and then wait another month letting the printer clog. The cycle of
clogging and unclogging is your own doing. Use it more regularly. Print
something - anything! - once or twice weekly and everyone will be happy,
even you.

Really. It sounds more like this printer does not park it's head properly
and therefore clogs. I guess it is normal. I may try to get my $$$ back.

Printer Bob

Really. It sounds more like this printer does not park it's head properly
and therefore clogs. I guess it is normal.

Normal?...... You're too absurd to be real. Must be yet another endless
Measekite re-invention of fake "Stan", note the sudden name change from
"Changling" (spelt wrong!) to "Greg Cisko". Goodbye!!! < Plonk! >

Greg Cisko

Printer Bob said:
Normal?...... You're too absurd to be real. Must be yet another endless
Measekite re-invention of fake "Stan", note the sudden name change from
"Changling" (spelt wrong!) to "Greg Cisko". Goodbye!!! < Plonk! >

Awesome. Printer bob was too kick ass for me anyway. "the changling" is
my yahoo google group account I use from work... Duh... If you look at
the message closely you will still see (e-mail address removed). Yep bob is
too cool for me. I would like to get my printer going though, and certainly
did not expect any "quick to flame ahole" in this group. I mean it is only
a printer group. WTF... aholes everywhere I guess.

measekite

Greg Cisko wrote:

"Printer Bob" &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Normal?...... You're too absurd to be real. Must be yet another endless Measekite re-invention of fake "Stan", note the sudden name change from "Changling" (spelt wrong!) to "Greg Cisko". Goodbye!!! &lt; Plonk! &gt;

Awesome. Printer bob was too kick ass for me anyway.

I guess yu and printer boob do not see eye to eye.

"the changling" is my yahoo google group account I use from work... Duh... If you look at the message closely you will still see [email protected]. Yep bob is too cool for me.

Oh Yeah :cool:

I would like to get my printer going though, and certainly did not expect any "quick to flame ahole" in this group.

I sede your point.

I mean it is only a printer group.

Being new you may find out it is a religious group aS WEll.

WTF... aholes everywhere I guess.

Arthur Entlich

Oh-oh, this is what I was concerned might happen. It's called the curse
of the inkjet printer. Dye inks are less likely to clog than pigment.
SO far, the only formulation of pigment ink I have seen that doesn't
clog up regularly is Epson's Ultrachrome, and it is only available on
the higher end art printers, which can work with slow drying inks.

Not sure how things go with HP's Vivera pigment inks however, not heard
enough about them yet.

It's all well and good for companies to offer "lot's of deep cleaning
cycles" as the solution to clogged heads, when they aren't paying for
the ink. The one good thing about the Kodak models is at least the ink
is cheaper when it is wasted during cleaning cycles.

Art

Jan Alter

If your intention is to only run this printer once a month then you will
continue to be plagued with having to do deep clean cycles everytime you
print. Even my Epson R1800, which uses the Ultrachrome inks as mentioned by
Art, needs to be run once at least every two to three weeks to avoid a minor
clog.
Clogging will also be affected by the humidity in the air, and dryer
climates will necessitate running the printer more often, as will the
particular ink being used, in addition to the specific manufacturer of the
ink. One using an inkjet this infrequently would be better off with a laser
printer, unless photo printing is a must.

--
Jan Alter
(e-mail address removed)
Arthur Entlich said:
[...]

particular ink being used, and specific manufacturer of the ink. One using
an inkjet this infrequently would be better off with a laser printer, unless
photo printing is a must. Inkjets are comparable to a muscle in terms of
viability. Use it or lose it.

Greg Cisko

Never was a problem with my Canon 4300 bubblejet. Maybe they don't
make em like they used to?

measekite

Arthur said:
Oh-oh, this is what I was concerned might happen. It's called the
curse of the inkjet printer. Dye inks are less likely to clog than
pigment. SO far, the only formulation of pigment ink I have seen that
doesn't clog up regularly is Epson's Ultrachrome, and it is only
available on the higher end art printers, which can work with slow
drying inks.

And that does not include relabeled inks since they are not the
Ultrachrome formula

measekite

Jan said:
If your intention is to only run this printer once a month then you will
continue to be plagued with having to do deep clean cycles everytime you
print. Even my Epson R1800, which uses the Ultrachrome inks as mentioned by
Art, needs to be run once at least every two to three weeks to avoid a minor
clog.

So you cannot take a real long vacation without having a problem with
your printer. Then the Canon Pro 9000 does not have this problem and
produces higher quality prints that has reasonable longevity for less
money than the Epson R1800.

ilovefrankhobbicolor

But when I need it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore..........

You can also use ink refills. Try hobbicolors.com. I always use
their ink.

I love you frank....

Ron Baird

Greetings Greg,

I can appreciate your frustration. I am taking your experience back to the
engineers I know so they are aware of your situation. They appreciate
feedback like this.

Actually, this condition might arise you may do not use your printer on a
regular basis. Personally, it has been my experience that if you do not
print often but leave the printer on when not in use, it will go through a
general startup process when you boot up your computer. Generally, when you
do, many do this every day, the printer will prepare itself for printing in
case you want to use it. If you do not print anything, however, or let it
sit idle without power, you have a greater chance of needing to clean the
head. I suspect this is something that might happen to other printers as
well. I know that with a couple of previous printers that I have had, i.e.
an Epson R200, and other Epsons, in the past that this happened to me from
time to time. The heads cleared but it cost me the expense of doing the
cleaning. I know it can get expensive.

Anyway, what I did was create a brief document that had all the colors and
black text then saved it as a file that I keep handy. The amount of ink used
is small. I make a print of it each week if I do not print some other
document. If I do make this print, I then flip over the paper and print the
same document on the other side to save paper. Doing this keeps my printer
ready for action. If you supply power to the printer, this may not happen as
often. I do not have a Kodak printer at home but I am sure this process
would work as well.

Talk to you soon, Greg,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Jan Alter

the-changling said:
I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The
printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need
it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it
and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was
very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new
print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now
after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print
head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep
cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that
would be. But that was the best they can do.

Is this normal for this printer? I am thinking it is.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Greg,

What you are suggesting is common and standard practice for inkjet
technology in order to keep the heads clear. With many cars the
manufacturer sets a standard of changing oil every 5000 - 7000 miles or 3
months (whether or not the vehicle is used, and assuming it is being run,
but infrequently) as a comparison to needed maintenance.
Since the Kodak is a new kid on the block some folks seem to expect
something revolutionary out of its design besides somewhat cheaper ink.
Now if Kodak wanted to gain some real noteworthiness and be first they
might consider designing an inkjet printer with easily refillable
cartridges. They'd gain glory by reusing the cartridges and truly save folks
money and resources. Think of the PR and accolades from environmentalists,
Consumers Union and NPR. That all translates into more business. Sell the
printer for double its current price and ink in bulk for something closer
and cheaper than what it really costs to make and folks will still stand in
line to get one of those printers. "The Peoples' Printer" At that rate Kodak
would even be giving the non-OEM inks a run for their business.

Greg Cisko

Ron,

Thanks much for the reply. I keep the printer off when I do not
use it. That way I figured the print heads would be "parked" (and
therefore sealed) and would not dry out. So I figured it should
not matter how long it is unused. Deep cleaning did eventually
fix everything, but it sucked up on black and one color cartridge.
Where did the ink go?it has to go somewhere. Deep cleaning does
not involve printing, yet it is using some ink . The ink has to go
somewhere.

BTW, very brave of you to mention you do not have a Kodak
printer at home :)

--

(e-mail address removed)

Jan Alter said:
Hi Greg,

What you are suggesting is common and standard practice for inkjet
technology in order to keep the heads clear. With many cars the
manufacturer sets a standard of changing oil every 5000 - 7000 miles or 3
months (whether or not the vehicle is used, and assuming it is being run,
but infrequently) as a comparison to needed maintenance.
Since the Kodak is a new kid on the block some folks seem to expect
something revolutionary out of its design besides somewhat cheaper ink.

"expect something revolutionary"? Not at all. My Canon BJ4300 did not
have a problem with sitting idle for extended time. I am execting the
Kodak to work at least as good as the 10 year old Canon BJ4xxx
series.

One thing that Canon did with the BJ4xxx driver was to turn the
printer OFF after one minute idle time. Then turn it on when you
wanted to print. I wish other printer companies would do that.

Maybe Ron can pass this wish list item to someone at Kodak ;-)