Kingston SSD V100+

CSB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry I've been away a while again. Although I have been reading posts every so often.

Since my last post, my PC is now playing GTA4 and all other games pretty much as it should do. Very strange how I had all the problems. Anyway, I'm not messing with it and hope it continues lol.

I run the Resident Evil 5 benchmark and FPS ranges from about 136 - 218 on Direct X 10 and max settings.

One query I did want to make ages ago, is with the SSD I'm using for the OS. Now this SSD is meant to have TRIM, yet I read Defragmentation is disabled for these type of drives, yet why is my control panel settings for defragmentation allowing me to analyze and defragment the drive ???.

I'll get you the full model spec tomorrow if I can. Maybe I have a later model which enabled it again ???.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I am not so certain that it wouldn't be part of a normal installation of Windows. From my experience, drive type isn't something that hinges on whether certain utilities would be excluded. I can't say for a fact yet what happens with an SSD and defrag, mainly because I haven't the allocated funds to destroy a $200 drive with testing yet.

However, I did find this http://www.w7forums.com/defragging-ssd-t1086.html

The general consensus that I find seems to be, don't do it regardless. If I can get the boss to sign off on it, I'll get one and post some results.

On the same token, how about burn ins on hard drives to test read/write function? I have to check all of my physical drives before they go out. What is there to say that something like this couldn't ruin a drive as well?

*edit: Found this link as well, figured i would include it. http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/8998-ssd-defrag-not-defrag.html

Last edited:

CSB

Reaction score
Hi Silver

Thanks for the reply. I won't use defrag for the drive anymore then, only used it like twice but deffinately no more now. Glad I've got the OS on a SSD now, as it is deffinately quicker and much better than standard HDD.

I believe though that we are currently being ripped off as usual in this country for hardware. I paid about £189 for this Kingston 128GB SSD off Amazon and that was the lowest I could find it.

Is like with many things, here in the UK, we pay a lot more for stuff than americans and some other countries. Just as with games consoles and games aswell, although the games have gotten a bit better over the last few years with a few sites offering new releases for approx £33.

Anyway, thats a whole new thread.

Ask a Question