Kind-hearted MVP needed to report a bug to Microsoft

H

H. S.

Steve said:
Windows is not *nix/*nux. Never has been, never will be. You want

How true. I totally agree with that. It never will be, it never can be.

*nix/*nux finctions? Use one of those OSes then.

big assumptions, good man, big assumptions of yours!!

In any case, it is not that *I* MS to be Unix (never!!). What I wrote
before was exactly what I meant. Nothing more, nothing less.

D

David Candy

MS is a former Unix company that dumped Unix for NT. They sold their own (first OS they sold), they wrote the Intel version of the Official Unix (based on AT&T's Unix and their own Xenix - previously based on Unix), they wrote Windows and Dos on Unix, they did all their accounting on Unix. The first thing MS did to Dos when they bougt it was build in Unix structures which persist in Windows today.

Why do you think they don't understand Unix, they are all Unix experts.

B

Bruce Chambers

"It's" by design? What is by design?

Quote:
"To temporarily use the classic logon screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL two times on
the Welcome logon screen."

OK, so I did that. Nothing happens.

It does NOT say, "only if nobody is logged in".

It shouldn't need to state anything so obvious. Perhaps you should
contact your IT department for assistance.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

A

Asher_N

Ctrl+Alt+Delete is not a hack. It is designed to ensure that you are not
looking at a User ID/Password harvesting program. If you are not at the
legitimate login prompt, Ctrl+Alt+Delete will bring up the task manager.

D

David Candy

You don't know what you are talking about, so I suggest you shut up and read the thread. As you didn't read it before posting and I know that by your wrong answer. In a different thread it may be right but not here. So read before putting foot in mouth.

I'd enjoy humilating you if there was a point. We will. It's too much fun to pass up.

Can you prove your assertion. I'll rephrase it for you.

At the WELCOME SCREEN Ctrl + Alt + Del is not a hack. Despite the fact that pressing it once does nothing, it is designed that you are not looking at a User ID/Password harvesting program.

I can prove the opposite of your assertion.

By R. Chen (an MS Programmer)
The double-Ctrl+Alt+Del feature is really a kludge
Most people who care about such things know that you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice from the Welcome screen and sometimes you will get a classic logon dialog. (Note: "Sometimes". It works only if the last operation was a restart or log-off, for complicated reasons that are irrelevant to this discussion.)

The ability to do the double-Ctrl+Alt+Del was added as a fallback just in case there turned out to be some important logon scenario that the new Welcome screen failed to cover, but which the designers had failed to take into account by simple oversight. Scenarios such as smartcard or fingerprint logon.

In other words, it's a kludge.

In the time since Windows XP came out, the logon folks have kept an eye out to see if there indeed were any scenarios that weren't covered by the Welcome screen. I think the only one that came up was Kerberos authentication.

Now that (once they fix the Kerberos problem) they have covered all the bases, the designers are probably going to feel more confident about the new logon design, and the double-Ctrl+Alt+Del panic button will likely be removed.

So don't get too attached to it.

This is why the Welcome screen shows that Administrator account if there are no other members of the Administrators group on the system: If it didn't show the Administrator account, you would be locked out of your own computer.

"No I'm not. I can use the double-Ctrl+Alt+Del trick to log on as the Administrator."

Well, okay, that works today, but you're relying on a panic button that might not be there tomorrow.

M

mark

David Candy said:
By R. Chen (an MS Programmer)
The double-Ctrl+Alt+Del feature is really a kludge
Most people who care about such things know that you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice from the Welcome screen and sometimes you will get a classic logon dialog. (Note: "Sometimes". It works only if the last operation was a restart or log-off, for complicated reasons that are irrelevant to this discussion.)

I'd be very much interested in 1) a verifiable source for this quote, and 2) the
"complicated reasons" why it works only if the last operation was a restart or
log-off.

D

David Candy

1. Heard of google? The MS Censors hate this (they recently clensed their web site of this phrase) GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. I copied from google's cache searching on
"welcome screen" site:blogs.msdn.com (I knew it was there)
2. I don't know as Raymond didn't say as my quote says. Raymond is tweakui's author.

Ask a Question