Windows XP Keep Snoopers Out

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Lock up your data

XP
To stop someone gaining access to your PC while you are away from it, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Lock Computer or Switch User from the Shut Down menu. O simply press the Windows Key & L. This will display the logon screen if Fast User Switching is enabled; otherwise, it will display a message saying that the system has been locked.

Having a password-protected screensaver kick in after a certain period of time will also prevent unauthorised access to your account. To do this open Display from the Control panel and click on the Screen Saver tab. You can set what kind of screensaver should be displayed and for how long the system should wait before activating it. To lock your computer whenever the screensaver is activated make sure ”On resume, password protect: checkbox is enabled.

Enjoy!
Mucks

Courteously from MS Help & Support

muckshifter

Reaction score
Safety First

Guard against a forgotten password

XP
With the vast number of passwords, account numbers and PINs that we have to remember, it is inevitable for some of us to forget these important details once in a while. Fortunately, Windows XP provides a way for you to reset your password should you ever have a mental block.

From within the User Account window select your account and from the Related Tasks area on the Task pane click on Prevent a forgotten password. This will load the “Forgotten Password Wizard”, which will walk you through the steps of creating a password reset disk. Make sure that you keep this disk in a secure location because any user will be able to log into your account with it.

Enjoy!
Mucks

Courteously from MS Help & Support

muckshifter

Reaction score
The Help & Support Center

The Help & Support Center
(Note the US spelling of Centre)

The Help & Support Center is the central location for help topics, tutorials and troubleshooting advice. On the H&SC’s main page there are a number help topics listed. You will also find additional sources for help, such as Remote Assistance and Windows XP newsgroups as well as important System tasks, such as Windows Update and System Restore

The search box at the top of the H&SC allows you to find information on specific topics. To help you narrow down your search, results are organised under three separate headings; Suggested Topics, Full-text Search Matches and Microsoft Knowledgebase.

Microsoft Knowledgebase articles, which reside online, have long been a source of assistance for technical experts. Windows XP’s H&SC integrates with these articles into its library of articles, overviews and tutorials when you are connected to the internet. If there is a knowledgebase article related to your specified topic, it will appear in the search results.

Enjoy!
Mucks

Courteously from MS Help & Support.

Ask a Question