kb828026 update

Kevin Hilton

Ive googled around a lot, however have not found one
single person who has been able to install kb828026
upgrade with win2k sp4 and wmp 9.0. Does anyone have a
suggestion of how to install this critical upgrade. I
just keep getting the message from the windows update site
stating this upgrade failed to install

Bobby McMillan [MSFT]

Kelly,

Does it fail if you attempt to install it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AF9CF65E-0C55-452E-
A0FA-3AA165E667C1

| From: "Kevin Hilton" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Kevin Hilton" <[email protected]>
| Subject: kb828026 update
| Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:03:45 -0800
|

| Ive googled around a lot, however have not found one
| single person who has been able to install kb828026
| upgrade with win2k sp4 and wmp 9.0. Does anyone have a
| suggestion of how to install this critical upgrade. I
| just keep getting the message from the windows update site
| stating this upgrade failed to install

Kevin Hilton

Ive downloaded from the link provided below, however here
is what happened. Everytime during the install process it
asks me where wmp.dll is located. I always choose
c:\winnt\system32, the installation then chokes and says
something about this being an invalid file. Im not sure
what is going on, since I unistalled and then reinstalled
wmp 9.0 from the updated site. wmp.dll was a file
included in the upgrade (I believe). Any suggestions, Id
include a screen cap, however this bb does not support
images.

Bobby McMillan [MSFT]

What is the exact text of the error?

| From: "Kevin Hilton" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Kevin Hilton" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: kb828026 update
| Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:48:23 -0800
|
| Ive downloaded from the link provided below, however here
| is what happened. Everytime during the install process it
| asks me where wmp.dll is located. I always choose
| c:\winnt\system32, the installation then chokes and says
| something about this being an invalid file. Im not sure
| what is going on, since I unistalled and then reinstalled
| wmp 9.0 from the updated site. wmp.dll was a file
| included in the upgrade (I believe). Any suggestions, Id
| include a screen cap, however this bb does not support
| images.

| >|
| >|
| >| Ive googled around a lot, however have not found one
| >| single person who has been able to install kb828026
| >| upgrade with win2k sp4 and wmp 9.0. Does anyone have a
| >| suggestion of how to install this critical upgrade. I
| >| just keep getting the message from the windows update
| site
| >| stating this upgrade failed to install
| >|
| >|

| >.

Kevin Hilton

During the installation of the update - when the progress
bar is occuring, I get the following popup -
Windows can copy the the following file from the given
location: wmp.dll. As when installing any other program I
get the buttons, retry, browse or cancel. The default
location changes each time I run the program, however it
is always a temporary directory set up during the
installation. It is something usually like
c:\193jdja8djk38dkj (or some other variation). Because
the search process halts waiting for input, Ive done a
search on the entire drive and found wmp.dll only located
in the temporary folder listed above and in the
c:\winnt\system32 folder. I push retry - however I keep
getting the same dialogue box, when I select
c:\winnt\system32 as the location, the program proceeds,
however then I can another warning popup, stating the
changes to windows have been made but are not complete,
please make esrd disks and recover windows. Windows will
reboot safely in normal mode without having to perform any
system recovery.

As a side note I deinstalled all of windows media player
back to the default installation status located on the
original installation. I then reinstalled all of wmp from
the update site. The patch will successfully reinstall on
the original version of wmp (6.x), however with the latest
version (9.0), the patch will not install.