Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0? I've just popped to aria computers to pick up some ram for Bex's PC (~£22 for 2x256 DDR3700) and saw this for less around £8.

It was an OEM version of course, but if it is much better than AVG I can't really complain. I didn't get it, but may do when I next go back. It appears to be their normal AV plus a firewall and a few other things.

From what I've heard it is one of the best, but if anyone here has some experience please do let me know :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ady has just finished an eval of KAV, but I'm not sure of the version. We are both on NOD32 for now.

KAV Internet Security 6 has had some very good reports ... catching 100% of almost everything thrown at it ... it's an "all-in-one" package, and, it will slow-down a less-than-up-to-date PC ... it does a lot of real-time checks, a bonus in my book. :thumb:

I keep hyping on about AVG, it really is a very slow AV when it comes to updating to new in-the-wild nasties ... good AVs should be able to update several times a day, and KAV will do that every 3 hours. ;)

If you would be a good sport, go get me a copy ... I'll pop a check in the post.
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll pick one up next time I'm there mucks (and might try it myself too :)) :thumb:

Reaction score
Aria! anyone tried getting hold of them recently? they've had a mobo of mine for nearly 6 weeks and can't get throught to them!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's an even better way for people to get it for free :D I remember AOL releasing something based on KAV, but I've done some research. I'm sure I tried it at the time but my memory is terrible, I'm going to give it another go though. This place sums it up best:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=33&threadid=1982241&enterthread=y

This is basically KAV 6.0 for free:

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

Just untick the AOL toolbar and you have the exact same thing, apart from you don't get firewall/spam protection (just use Kerio for free). AV testing put KAV and AVS joint first with 99.62% as they are both the same thing under the hood. AVG comes in at 82.82% :wall:

The vista version is a few weeks away, but I'll check that the aria version is Vista compatible once I go back next Mucks :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
New service ... AOL ... hmmm, err, no thanks.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian, I just been using "Diskeeper" ... the one built-in to Vista ... it does the job, but you better do it at night when asleep.

The KAV AV engin "powers" a good few other AV programs, and you may even get full power from it as well, it is after all their biggest source of income ... but for £8, I'll have the OEM copy of the "FULL" package from KAV ... :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The vista version is a few weeks away, but I'll check that the aria version is Vista compatible once I go back next Mucks :D
KAV 6 is Vista ready ... ;)

:thumb:

Attachments

• kis_eng_140vista.jpg
    kis_eng_140vista.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 211

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Aria's site is down at the moment, but it appears as if Kaspersky Anti-Virus is £5.70 plus vat :eek: (if the google cache page is right). I might nip down there and pick it up tomorrow if I get a chance :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As Mucks said I've just finished the months free trial of KAV Internet Security 6.0, and I liked it alot - easy to set-up and configure and very comprehensive in its protection coverage, pretty quick in its scanning and didn't appear to use too many system resources :thumb:

Only thing I would grumble about is it can be a bit over zealous at times with its warnings - but thats just me being picky :D

Trying NOD32 like Mucks now and although it is a bit quirky with its user interface - ok, lets be honest its boring and old hat :D - it seems to do the job very well and is even quicker and uses less system resources than KAV, and its also cheaper if you go on to buy/renew a licence, but then again it has no built in firewall.

If I was to choose between the two as an AV only, then it would be very difficult - but if you want a firewall as well then KAV Internet Security would be my #1 choice
nod.gif

I've no doubt these two are the best paid-for AV's out there at the moment :thumb:

Edit: I see on the Aria site that the Kaspersky Anti-Virus OEM (1 yr) is only £6.70 inc, and the full Security Suite (OEM) is only £11.16 inc - I would say thats a bargain :nod:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been reading up and the included firewall doesn't seem to be as good as Kerio/Zonealarm - would you say that sounds about right from your experience? I've disabled most of the alerts in my system tray now as I found them annoying too - only real virus threats now pop something up if they can't be removed (I'm assuming its the same in KAV as AVS, as the screenshots seem to be almost identical).

KAV alone is about £7 and the whole internet package is £12ish, so not much in it - but if Kerio is better I'd probably just go for the AV and use that. Although, Kerio doesn't support Vista at the moment (I think) so it may be worth it after all.

edit: does aria's site work for you at the moment as I'm getting "Error : Developers will be informed about this issue"?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The Aria site is fine my end Ian :thumb:

Regarding the firewall - it passed all the on-line probe tests I could throw at it so I'm not sure how much better its supposed to be, or how I'm even supposed to tell whether its better/worse than others to be honest.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very strange, I cleared my cookies and Aria's site works again!

Looks like I'll be making a trip there tomorrow morning for it :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I personally think these "software" firewalls are over-rated for what they are actually supposed to do ... most modern Routers are NAT Routers these days and the one I got shows up full stealth with or without any software FW.

Still, they do show up one aspect that I cannot seem to follow on a Router, and that is, they will show you what is accessing the Internet from your PC ... would love to see what Vista is doing. ;)

I'll keep an eye out for Mr Postman.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Still shows out of stock when I use that link Ian - but its weird if you go to Software>Securities its listed there in stock but at £11.16 inc, whereas its £9.99 inc as a SuperSpecial :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll see if I can blag it for £9.99, heading off at half ten to find out :) Only £1.17 more if not, but its the principle ;)

Reaction score
I used Kapersky 5 and it rocked.
I have norton at the moment, but only cause it came free with my machine.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Darksat said:
......I have norton at the moment, but only cause it came free with my machine.
Oh dear, I am sorry - please accept my condolences :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
... I have norton at the moment, but only cause it came free with my machine.
oh dear, sorry to here of your demise ... hope you get better soon.

user.gif

Ask a Question