Is it snowing yet?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
In Hornchurch (East London) it's the worst I've seen for a long time, and it's still snowing :eek:

These pictures were taken around 11pm:

snowyhx1.jpg

snowyhx2.jpg

snowyhx3.jpg

This is the main road past my house, used by many buses and emergency vehicles. The gritters must have been caught out. While I was standing outside a fire engine roared past me at 15mph :D

snowyhx4.jpg

snowyhx5.jpg

snowyhx6.jpg

snowyhx7.jpg

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
No snow here - yet - but the temp has fallen to -2.6 deg C, so it's feeling very cold. Time to curl-up under the duvet methinks :D Take care all of you who have to venture out in slippery conditions tomorrow :nod: Night all ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We got about 1.5-2" of snow here! It's the powdery stuff too, not the wet mush we usually get.

I would be excited, but my yoga class has just been cancelled and I'm a 10 min walk from work so no day off ;)

Reaction score
Got about 6 inches of the white stuff in South West London and it's still snowing!
NEVER seen it this bad for years & even traffic on the main road is being stopped & turned around it's that dangerous!

OK Urmas stop taking the pee!:p

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A good 3 inches here with intermittent blizzards.

HANG ON ! The sun has just come out. :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hurray 2" of picturesque snow here. :D

No voulantry driving for me today as I can not get over the hill.Me regular Heart Stroke victims will just have to stare at the snow through their windows today.Mind you if the powers that be could organise themselves like the Finns a couple of inches of snow would not be a problem. Here is how they do it.

taken from Urmas's link,

Anyone who owns a snowplough will usually be in charge of road clearance and expenses are divided among the members of the cooperative.

Clearing snow with public funds and the efforts of a large number of people is effective but when you own your own house, clearing snow provides you with endless hours of exercise.

Even the Finns struggle with snow though,

Drivers have to be on the alert as soon as the weather turns wintry. Visibility deteriorates, roads are slippery, braking distances are longer and driving in deep snow gives drivers less control over their vehicle. Despite the fact that all of these factors recur every year, the news on the first day of snow always tells of a rise in the number of motorists crashing into one another.

Enjoy the snow folks it only comes around once in a while over here. Me I think I'll try to get some pics taken.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I woke to about 5" of the stuff. Haven't seen it like this for a long time.

More pix laters.

Reaction score
About Ummm!!! nothing really about 0000.0001cm lets see thats two flakes per square yard:lol: Sun is shining but its blinkling ffffreeeezzziinnnngggggg.

There is a monkey looking for a welder:D knocking all the doors asking...

Reaction score
No public transport running in Surrey or London.
More snow is on it's way!
My Sister has no snow in Somerset yet.

Hope people stay safe in the snowy conditions!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Plenty of the white stuff here in Essex, about 8 inches of the stuff and chaos with the transport system..

Took me nearly 3 hours to get home from Kent to Essex around the M25 last night which is normally a 45 minute journey, traffic slowed to a crawl and you couldn't see the motorway or the white lines, everyone was just following everyone elses tyre tracks, it was ridiculous cars abandoned in the fast lane of the M25 facing the wrong way..You had to see it to believe it honestly..
nod.gif

Just got some pics from outside where its still snowing hard..

P1000870.jpg

My car under about 8" of the stuff

P1000865.jpg

Bikes in the garden, notice the way the snow has collapsed under it own weight and laid at funny angles..

P1000873.jpg

Who's been swiping snow from my bonnet! I want it all back Dya' hear..:D

P1000877.jpg

Again the snow has collapsed under its own weight and made the wheel look out of shape...weird..
nod.gif

P1000867.jpg

This tree looks beautiful covered in snow, Pic was at two thirds zoom about 380mm as this was across the road in adjoining neighbours gardens..

P1000875.jpg

Little Birdy scavenging for a worm or 2 under the fir trees, don't worry I gave him some chunks of bread..;)

Maybe some more pics later if I get out and about..see ya all..:wave:

Reaction score
Last night was really strange the road i live off is a major "A" road & it was so quiet.
Went for a walk earlier only got halfway up the road & heavy snow showers stopped me!
Just off to sweep the snow off a glass roof at home, a bit worried the weight could break it.

Our cat wanted to go in the garden as normal this morning, let her out & 2 front paws touched the snow.
She raced back in, up into her bed to clean & wash her front paws, now watching the snow & meowing at it!
Dont think she fully understands their will be no going out today!:(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's snowing here now. Hasn't settled much - yet! But it's freezing cold.

I love the pix which are appearing here :thumb: That tree looks really beautiful CL :nod: Try to stay safe everyone. :wave:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Looks like good conditions for an amateur rally-poo... a modest example here:

happywave.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well they were doing well better than I could do anyway..I think I would have lasted to the first corner..:D :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Here's a very short video clip at about 11am this morning:

Right click and choose Save As or Open

Gosh it was looking pretty thick there Flopps, unlike your usual London vista. :nod:

It keeps stopping here, we have quite heavy flurries, but then it brightens up again, so I suppose we're on the edge of the worst of it - for now anyway ;)

Reaction score
Well I expect you have all seen the T.V broadcasts this morning

and looking out of my front room window I can see some one has scooped up some snow off the roof of my car,and and it shows a depth of at least 8-10 inches of the white stuff.And it is still snowing.At four of the clock this morning our road was a white out. The worst snow fall I can remember was in the winter of 1946/7. We were on our way back to London from Leicester just after the war.Took us hours to get to London in the removal van,boy was it cold. First time we had seen army tanks on the road smashing up the ice.
historian.

Last edited:

Ask a Question