Windows XP IP Address

Reaction score
When you log on to a website i know that your IP address is logged with the server you link up to, can this be traced back to your exact PC or location or is it only to a general area or ISP?

It's just a general comment as i'm getting to grips with networking at the moment:nod:

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
When you log on to a website i know that your IP address is logged with the server you link up to, can this be traced back to your exact PC or location or is it only to a general area or ISP?
No, not your exact location, as say a Post Code does ... even a Post Code can have 10 houses associated with it ... but it will give your general area code, like Manchester. :)

If you wan't to make your house invisible, then demolish it ... if you want to really hide your IP address, do not connect to the internet. ;)

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have a play with www.dnsstuff.com to see what you can do with the info, IP addresses can usually give a good overview of the area but certainly not an exact house/street (usually only the nearest big town). :)

Reaction score
Cheers for that Muckshifter.
I'm getting to grips with networking on a more professonial basis & some of the books go in to this in such detail i just wanted a quick & easy answer:thumb:

Cheers for that link Ian, i'm also using PacketTracer to understand more in simulation mode. The network techs at work seem reluctant to let me play with their servers for some reason:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ask a Question