Involuntary Deletion of POP3 & SMTP Email Settings

R

RN

I'm running Home XP on a P4 1600 mz home built system. I am current on all XP service packs.
Norton AV is my antivirus software and all updates are also current. The problem I am about to
describe does not seem to be timed to either XP AV automatic updates. AV does not indicate any
resident virus. The problem does not seem to occur on similarly AV equipped Windows ME machines I
work with.

I had been using Netscape for my e-mail reader, and at random occurrences of about every 2
months, the POP3 and SMTP settings would disappear. Recently received e-mail would also
disappear. Losing the settings was inconvenient, but not disasterous. Losing the e-mails was
much more problematic. I presumed that there was some type of undetected virus that was
targetting Netscape's e-mail reader, so I decided to go with an "off brand" e-mail reader that
would not be as likely to be targetted by a virus.

I now use Pegasus mail. Randomly, at about two month intervals. I'll turn the machine on and the
e-mails settings have again vanished. So I reset the POP3 and SMTP settings. At least with
Pegasus mail I'm not losing the e-mails.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance.

R

RN

One additional point about the system --- I am using Norton Internet Security
and the firewall is active.

D

David

(e-mail address removed) (RN) wrote in
One additional point about the system --- I am using Norton Internet
Security and the firewall is active.

My mother had this problem in her computer. It would reset the POP3 and
SMTP to Localhost. It wa the Norton crap she had installed. I removed it
and the problem disappeared.

--

David

Programmers write "Help Files" for a reason. use them.

"Due to Viewer dicretion...
Graphic violence is advised"

http://www.HeroicStories.com/
http://www.thisistrue.com/

Ask a Question