Internet Security 2010

Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire T180-1972 pc running Vista 32. I have picked up a nasty virus masquerading as a anti spyware application called Internet Security 2010. I must of got it downloading some free games. I have Googled it and it comes bundled with other downloads and you dont get asked if you want it. I did a scan with Avg and it showed nothing. Malwarebytes found trojans and deleted them but it kept returning It cannot be turned off from the taskbar and i get bombarded with messages that i need to do a full scan with Internet Security and then purchase the programme. when i tried Systemn restore a box came up with the message unable to do a restore because its infected. Task manager had greyed so i could not close it down. I downloaded something called Rkill.com as advised from a site and installed it on my laptop because i cannot get an internet connection on my pc, and put that on a memory stick but before i could install it the pc as now gone totaly mad if i try safe mode with or without networking all i get now is installing updates from microsoft do not turn your pc off. Nothing installs and the pc just restarts and the same thing happens over again. I never got a backup disc with the pc. The only way i know how to un and reinstall the OS software is from Acer recovery in programmes but i cannot get to it. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know if you have a recovery partition on the laptop, it should be mentioned in the manual if you do. Using that might be easier than trying to troubleshoot the problem, as long as you don't mind losing or already have backups of the data?

Reaction score
Sorry Ian, i'm not with you. The problem is on the pc not the laptop, Or am i missing something If so please explain can i use my laptop to rid the mess on the pc? The manual for the laptop doesn't state a recovery partition its an E machine Amd Athlon 64 with windows 7. The pc with the problem has a recovery in programmes but as i say i can no longer start without going into a loop stating installing updates 3of 3 do not turn of the pc, it just goes on shuts down restarts and the same thing happens. Running in safe mode does the same. Can i do a resrtore or get into the Acer recovery via the Bios. I am not skilled with computers.Thanks for the reply and please if you can help more i would be most obliged.

Reaction score
Restart your machine. When you see the POST screen come up press ALT + F10 this will take you to the AC*R recovery Partition. From there you can reset the macine back to factory specs. There will be various options that will tell you to format , some will say no ormat and keep all your data, but in doing this you might be keeping the nasty you had/have.
Have you tried restarting in Safe Mode and accessing the Recovery Part this way ?
If worst comes to worst you can use a Linux Live CD to fix the problem. There are various options for this. Bit of Googling will help or our resident Linux user Abarbarian might be able to point you in the right direction...

Edit: If you can restart the machine in Safe Mode, you can also do a factory Recovery from the Ac*r Empowering Technology gadget tha comes up on your screen by going to the eRecovery part. Again at worst if none of this works, borrow a Vista disk from a friend and do a fresh install. I'd say that is best as you will be getting rid of the Ac*r Empowering Tech cr*p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent mate, your a star. Restored back to factory settings and got rid of the Internet Security 2010 scam. I am not too fussed about losing my stuff on my C drive i have most of them on a memory stick and i have lots of other gear on an external hard drive. I was getting panicky i have had viruses before but that was a real tough one. I will certainly remember alt + f10. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Another one solved

terryco said:
Excellent mate, your a star. Restored back to factory settings and got rid of the Internet Security 2010 scam. I am not too fussed about losing my stuff on my C drive i have most of them on a memory stick and i have lots of other gear on an external hard drive. I was getting panicky i have had viruses before but that was a real tough one. I will certainly remember alt + f10. Thanks again.

Glad I could be of help. Do yourself a favour and go create a recovery disk either via Empowering Tech or via start menu...

Reaction score
I was ahead of you there mate. After the install i was asked if i wanted a backup disc and went for it. Cheers again. I am just reinstalling my printer. Too cold to go out for a beer.

Reaction score
terryco said:
I was ahead of you there mate. After the install i was asked if i wanted a backup disc and went for it. Cheers again. I am just reinstalling my printer. Too cold to go out for a beer.

Might be tocold for a beer, but you should have a good supply of whiskey indoors......

Reaction score
I am using the Kaspersky Internet Security software from last one year. It is best one for the protection of viruses, malware, spyware, trojans etc.

Ask a Question