Windows XP Internet explorer problem

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you can help me. I have Fujitsu Siemens Amilo lap top M3438G. with windows XP home eddition. I acces the web via BT Broadband using an Anypoint DSL modem. It worked fine for ages but now has a problem. I get onto the network OK, the icon appears telling me that BT B/band is connected and the speed. However, internet explorer will not open any web pages, I get the standard message as below. I am running Norton anti virus and Zone Alert free firewall. I did not change anything , it just happened one evening and now nothing. Hope this is enough detail. Thanks in advance, Andrew The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hiya mate :wave: and welcome to PCReview.

Open up Internet Explorer, then go to TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - ADVANCED at the bottom of the screen is a reset button click on this and hopefully all will be well.

This will reset the Internet Explorer and you will lose any settings you have.

Fingers, eyes and toes crossed.

Reaction score
Thanks Waynos but that did not work. I assume you mean the "restore defaults" option? I don't see a reset button. I tried that but it is still the same. Grateful for any further adveice, Andrew

Reaction score
Hi Andrew, Have you ried any of the steps that the browser gives you, When you get that message..? Also check and see if you can open Automativc Updates, this is always a good way to check if youu have conection problem or IE problem...As for rest, Goto Tools > Internet Options > Advance You should see the same as the attatchment below..

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 129
Reaction score
Thank you, I have followed some of the browser steps but not made notes. I will do thjis tomorrow. Nieither my work XP or home XP machines have that screen as attached. They only have "restore defaults" not "restore advanced" or "reset". I don't know why..do you?

Reaction score
Andrew L said:
Thank you, I have followed some of the browser steps but not made notes. I will do thjis tomorrow. Nieither my work XP or home XP machines have that screen as attached. They only have "restore defaults" not "restore advanced" or "reset". I don't know why..do you?

This feature is only available in Internet Exploror 7...Go HERE And follow these steps to Reset IE 6

Reaction score
I managed to restore all the defaults as you advised but no change. I notice that when actually off line, the “this page cannot be displayed” screen on I explorer comes up immediately. When I am on line, it tries to load the page for a few minutes before I get the error screen.
OK, here is what happens: I can log into BT broadband and get the “BT openworld is now connected” and speed of 1.6M.
Opening I explorer, it tries to open the Microsoft home page since it was set to default. “connecting to site 207 etc for about 2 minutes. Lots of hard drive activity, I can see the drive light flashing a lot. At about 4 green segments on the bottom tool bar, I get the “this page cannot be displayed” It says “please try the following” I don’t know what the connections setting should be so I moved onto the part that says how to check if my net connection settings are being detected. Uses the “automatically detect settings” command.I did that and saw BT openworld in the settings box.
That’s about all I can see that might help. At the bottom of the page there is the text
”cannot find server or DNS error”

Someone suggested I try to activate windows update. I get the same explorer screen and error message.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Andrew (thanks for your help so far)

Reaction score
Its an Anypoint DSL modem and i think it turns off every time I power down the PC, it has no power supply of it's own. I use it with my work PC ( which I am using to write this) and it works fine. :-(

Ask a Question