Internet Explorer Misbehaving

melvin cotterill

When I launch IE, from my desktop icon, to reach my home page(msn.com), I
get the message" Internet Explorer cannot display this page". If I then
perform several refreshes, I can reach my home page OK.
However, a single click to eBay, PayPal , Amazon or Outlook Express from
the desktop works immediately.
I am running XP Pro in a home network, via a DSL modem and a Netgear
router.
The other computer in the network behaves identically.Both machines appear
to function normally otherwise. Also, each machine is running AVG 7,
Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot S&D and Spware Blaster and reveal no problems.What is
causing this?
How can I fix this problem?
Thanks for your help

antioch

melvin cotterill said:
When I launch IE, from my desktop icon, to reach my home page(msn.com), I
get the message" Internet Explorer cannot display this page".

Which IE are you talking about?

IE7 questions should be posted to the Internet Explorer General newsgroup as
below -

In your Newsreader:

If you need to use the Web Interface -
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

Newsgroup for questions or problems with IE6 only -

To get to the Internet Explorer discussion group via the web site, go to the
below - then choose Internet Explorer
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

You posted in the newsgroup for help with the windowsxp.general.

Rgds
Antioch

PA Bear

If you eliminate the router and connect directly to the modem, does the
behavior persist?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211 (ignore APPLIES TO section)
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

melvin cotterill

I am using IE 6 on one machine and IE 7 on the other.
Both machines have the same problem.

melvin cotterill

When I by pass the router and go directly via the modem the problem does not
go away. Both machines respond in the same fashion when I do this.

Melvin Cotterill

Hello All;

Thanks for the help and advice. I will post this problem in the suggested
newsgroup. Incidentally, I downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 7 on
the machine that had IE 6 on it. This did not solve my problem. Caveat
Emptor, and remember Peace and Liberty can not be obtained simultaneously,
even in the Islamic world.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

What if you right click the IE icon on the desktop and choose Start Without
Add-ons?
Or go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
Explorer (No Add-ons).

PA Bear

Sounds like you need to edit/adjust the MTU value on each machine.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008 (ignore the title) > Scroll
down to "If You Connect by DSL, Cable Modem, or LAN on Windows XP" and the
NOTE subsection for instructions & tips.
--
~PA Bear