Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

supergoalie

I'm new to Vista. I have just connected my new laptop with Vista to m
home network (XP). No dramas.

But when browsing the internet (IE7), certain websites won't load (e
Apple, Ninemsn, Microsoft). Eventually it displays "Internet Explore
can't display the webpage". When you diagnose connection problems - i
finds no problem.

I have tried turning off firewalls (Vista), uninstalling my AV (NOD32)
disabling Vista's autotuning (which booted my brothers computer off th
network, but did nothing to mine).

I have tried to browse through Morzilla Firefox (but i can't load th
website to download it!) and have tried disabling ADD ONs in IE. Non
of these change anything!

Anymore suggestions

Vista Succubus Hunter

supergoalie said:
I'm new to Vista. I have just connected my new laptop with Vista to my
home network (XP). No dramas.

But when browsing the internet (IE7), certain websites won't load (eg
Apple, Ninemsn, Microsoft). Eventually it displays "Internet Explorer
can't display the webpage". When you diagnose connection problems - it
finds no problem.

I have tried turning off firewalls (Vista), uninstalling my AV (NOD32),
disabling Vista's autotuning (which booted my brothers computer off the
network, but did nothing to mine).

I have tried to browse through Morzilla Firefox (but i can't load the
website to download it!) and have tried disabling ADD ONs in IE. None
of these change anything!

Anymore suggestions?

I suggest you connect the machine directly to the Internet connection
without XP.

If no problems that way, then you should go buy a NAT router that is
Vista compliant and use it as the gateway for both the XP and Vista
machines to the WAN (Wide Area Network)/Internet and LAN (Local Area
Network)/networking between the two machines.

A Windows machine should never be exposed as the gateway device to the
Internet, as it's too attackable.

A NAT router will provide the network infrastructure seamlessly and is
better protection from the Internet.

Don Varnau

Peter Foldes said:
Crossposted to the internetexplorer.general newsgroup

-
Peter

1. Try clearing the DNS Cache
Start> Run> cmd [enter]
ipconfig /flushdns
Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

2. Make sure that these sites aren't in the HOSTS file.
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP or Vista.
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types (Folder Options> View) then
check for a HOSTS file at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS
file with notepad. If there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the
pound sign (#) in front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can
rename the HOSTS file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

3. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/internet_explorer_password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/81fe3b46-2460-459e-b826-8f134a7fe1771033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

supergoalie

Don said:
"Peter Foldes" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
Crossposted to the internetexplorer.general newsgroup

-
Peter
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not b
acknowledged.-
-
"supergoalie" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I'm new to Vista. I have just connected my new laptop with Vista t
my
home network (XP). No dramas.

But when browsing the internet (IE7), certain websites won't loa
(eg
Apple, Ninemsn, Microsoft). Eventually it displays "Interne
Explorer
can't display the webpage". When you diagnose connection problems
it
finds no problem.

I have tried turning off firewalls (Vista), uninstalling my A
(NOD32),
disabling Vista's autotuning (which booted my brothers computer of
the
network, but did nothing to mine).

I have tried to browse through Morzilla Firefox (but i can't loa
the
website to download it!) and have tried disabling ADD ONs in IE
None
of these change anything!

Anymore suggestions?

-
supergoalie--

Hi,
[...]

'How to optimize Internet Explorer
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us)

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all store
login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
'IE PassView - Password Manager Program for Internet Explorer
(http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/internet_explorer_password.html)

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://tinyurl.com/32uwjm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Clearing the cache and checking the HOSTs to no avail.
I can't access those links about reseting IE as they are microsof
pages

supergoalie

I ended up paying a smart person to come and check my network. The
found that the problems was due to the Router Data Speed Setting and i
is now fixed

Gene E. Bloch

I ended up paying a smart person to come and check my network. They
found that the problems was due to the Router Data Speed Setting and it
is now fixed.

Good work for recognizing that there are times when a professional is
the way to go, like appendectomies and some computer problems :)

optionzz

Thanks Don,

I can't do:
1. Try clearing the DNS Cache
Start> Run> cmd [enter]
ipconfig /flushdns
Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

I get a strange message that says:
"The requested operation requires elevation."
Huh?
Plain old ipconfig runs fine.

I'm pretty sure that it is a setting in IE...which blocks ALL access to the
TINYURL.COM site...it has since I got VISTA. Finally trying to solve the
mystery.

Thanks!

Don Varnau said:
Peter Foldes said:
[...]

Tae Song

Don Varnau said:
Peter Foldes said:
[...]

You might try starting Command Prompt (CMD.EXE) as Administrator.

Start -> Accessories

Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.