Intel or AMD?

Reaction score
Discuss! :) Which is better, i always used Intel, but lots of people say AMD is now better.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well Intel have the fastest 32-Bit processor out, and AMD have the fastest 64-Bit processor out. Seeing as theres nothing to take advantage of 64-Bit technology it seems Intel have the fastest processor out at the moment.

If you look on the highest scores in the world for 3DMark03, The top 4 are all using Intel chips. Thats because the overclockable to ridiculas amounts.

I think AMD is better value for money though, you will get more bang for your buck if you bought an AMD chip.

AMD chips used to get quite alot hotter than the Intel chips, but now the tables have turned, Intel chips get hotter than AMD ones now =/ .

Overall i dont think there is a better one, i think there both equal ;).

Reaction score
From a building point of view, Intel.

AMD Coolers SUCK to install as i assume most of you will agree.

Personally i would stick to intel i guess purely out of favouritsm. I have no comparable figures but i like them better and they arent slow...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
AMD. I've never owned an Intel CPU, have built a few though.

Unless you count my first 'real' board, a 386 with an Intel CPU integrated/soldered into the Motherboard.

Nah, we won't count that :D

Until recently, I'd only ever fitted AMD coolers, but I must admit I was surprised when I fitted my first cooler to a Pentium 4 3Ghz, twas a cinch.

And talking of 3Ghz, Ghz isn't everything, there are other factors to consider. AMD 3200 is actually performing faster than a Pentium 3Ghz.

Sorry, but I just don't like Intel. They were arrogant pigs and thought they ruled the roost, even with the AMD K6-2's on the market. Then AMD produced the Athlon. And so Intel made more effort and reduced prices. But they still manage to produce turkeys now and again, unlike AMD.

Just my two pennorth ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
AMD

Intel = 5 motherboards for 5 CPUs ... no interchanging CPUs ... expencive

AMD = 1 motherboard and take your pick of 7 different type CPUs ... good value for money

AMD

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
AMD Coolers SUCK to install as i assume most of you will agree.
Sorry, I strongly disagree ... the retail CPU/HSF does its job admirably.

Reaction score
i dont mean the cooling effectivness at all - they are very good at that but what i do mean is the annoying little retention clip that you have to force down with a screwdriver while hoping you dont slip and take out a resistor compared to Intels one that you push onto the bracket, pull a lever over on each side and job done.

cost wise i admit AMD rule

but i prefer Intel

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
but i prefer Intel
Why? I not being demeaning, just curious.

I must admit Intel have made an effort over the past 9 months or so, and the line between the two is a little finer.

However, Intel chips are still really expensive and there's no real performance gain over an equivalent AMD chip, imo.

Only advantage as far as I can see is that they run cooler, and therefore, you can have a quieter machine.

Reaction score
the coolers for one, they scare me. Im clumsy and i could easily ruin a computer.

you dont need to worry about crushing the core on a P4 with the heatspreader but you have to think about the athlons...

Hyperthreading i think is good and Athlons don't have...

They run cooler so its not the noise that bothers me it means i can overclock more and its still not overly loud...

The numbers are bigger so it sounds more impressive :p (i know it doesnt mean anything, it just sounds good hehe)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
The numbers are bigger so it sounds more impressive :p (i know it doesnt mean anything, it just sounds good hehe)
At last! An Intel user that acknowledges this fact!

Most Pentium owners just love to act smug and quote '3Ghz' as if it was the be-all and end-all of everything.

So, kudos to you Bro, I noted all the other points as well, fair enough, we should be glad we have a choice I suppose.

Reaction score
i have known all along that AMD use a much more efficient architechture than Intel therefore meaning the operating frequency does not need to be as high as Intels to achieve the same performance.

I can say i have a 3.3GHz processor with i dunno a 1GHz FSB and that sounds a hell of a lot better than, uh yeah i have a 2.2GHz processor with a 350Mhz FSB

sounds pathetic big time i know. Not that i usually do tell anyone about my computer...

Who knows, my next PC may very well be an AMD one but i tell you now it definatly will not be socket A.

Then again i may go for the Intel Socket T (the LGA one) if the memory gets any quicker than Cas 4...

only time will tell.

At the end of the day it will be down to the best i can afford. but if 2 chips (AMD and Intel) had very similar performance figures, i would definatly go for the Intel.

Reaction score
shall we now discuss whether linux is better than windows? ;)

i use to always go for Intel but just built a machine using an AMD and its fine.

the only difference between the two that i'm aware is that intel chips clock themselves down when they start to get too hot. not sure whether amd's now do this but they never used to.

just though it was a cool feature.

but i think they're both much of a muchness (except amd's still cheaper)

:)

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the info boys. Used to build computers everyday working in a compter shop (bout 4 years ago) and it was all intel then and AMD were a bit flakey. But just not really kept up to date for the last few years, so im guessing ive just missed AMD getting their act together. Think what i have taken from this discussion is that they are much of a muchness, but people just "support" one or other.

Anyway, Techy, none of this windows V's Linux nonsense, the real debate.......PC V's Apple ;-)

Reaction score
I`m an AMD man. When I was gettin into computers, the prices of Intel Procs put me off. I heard AMD create more heat but my processor aint that bad, unless the temperatures outside are silly.
The best CustomPC scores are Intel as well- the first AMD based system is at number 37 on their chart. I didnt know Intel were that easy to overclock.

If this was put up as a poll, would it be 50-50 I wonder.....

Reaction score
I had a Mac back in the days BEFORE CD DRIVES! Yep, that old. Still got it. Me mum uses it for letters. No point selling it, would get no £ for it.

P.S. That Mac put me off Apple, the second I got my first PC (just as Processors broke the "magic" 1GHz mark) it was all over. :)

Reaction score
All The Computers Ive Had (All Two Of Them :)).. Have Had Intel CPUs....

I Think The Next One Will Most Likley Be An AMD Run System.. They Seem To Have Improved Much.. Be Better Value For Money..The Company Just Seems As If It Isnt out To Rip You Off (Not Too Much Anway)...... Where As Intel The Feeling Is There That If You Buy A CPU.. You Just Know The Very Next Day That A Different Unit Will Appear With Yet Another Socket....(That Was The Feeling I Got With Intel Anyway)

Saying All This I Havent Had Any Problems With My Intel CPUs Theve Always Worked Fine.... I Just Find That AMD Are Getting More Exiteing Now.... And More Budgetable!!..

You Have To Watch The Pennies You Know... Especially If You Have Goldfish To Feed...:)

Reaction score
Spooky Mouse, why do you put a capital letter at the start of every word?! Dont know why, but its really buggin!! :)

Ask a Question