Intel i5 6500 vs AMD Ryzen 1700X

Reaction score
My current computer has an Intel i5 6500 processor, but from what I read, the new AMD Ryzen 1700X looks like it is the next good value processor. It has been a long time since anything stood out from the crowd.

Although my computer isn't very old, I now have a bigger budget to upgrade it. Would the 1700X be a substantial improvement?

My computer is simply used for office work, but I have a lot of applications running at the same time and I like to keep things zippy. I don't play games at all, so that isn't a consideration. To give an example of workload, at the moment I have the following running: Excel, Firefox x 12, Word, VPN, Anti-Virus, IBM Notes.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, @Stubs :)

I don't have a Ryzen CPU, so can't comment on what they are like first hand, however you'd be going from a 4 core, 4 thread CPU to an 8 core, 16 thread CPU. That's a huge increase in the number of cores and would be ideal for multitasking, although perhaps a bit overkill for an office PC.

There's no doubt that Ryzen is the CPU range of the moment, although it's not as cheap as I had hoped.

BTW, if you're already running DDR4 memory, you can re-use that. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"Office work"

Stick with what you have, MHO you won't 'see' much of a benefit to your productivity ... Games, oh hell yeah baby! :nod:

:user:

Ask a Question