AMD billions ahead of Intel. (literally)

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I have an Intel processor and it performs very well. I know a lot of people that pride themselves on owning the latest and best tech though, so I understand the appeal.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have an Intel processor and it performs very well. I know a lot of people that pride themselves on owning the latest and best tech though, so I understand the appeal.

30 years ago I was like that, had to have the latest and greatest computer, spent a lot of money too on computers. Now I have settled down and enjoy the breeze. :lol:

I too have the Intel processor an i7 in my desktop and it serves me well for what I do nowadays, mostly writing and surfing with a bit of photography and audio software to play around with.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Maybe this is just the incentive that Intel need to make further progress. Competition certainly drives innovation. :)

Reaction score
They admitted themselves that getting to the 10nm for laptops was a struggle. They are a year or two behind AMD's 7nm process, however now that AMD has done a press release about 5nm Intel, I think have crapped themselves. The new ZEN 4 5nm from AMD are boasting 1.84x density increase. It doesn't seem a lot but we are talking billions here after all " “TSMC reported 1.84x density improvement over the company’s own [7nm] node." Now with Intel struggling so much. And that's just the run of the mill consumer CPU. Data centres? Well that's a different story.

" AMD said its second-generation EPYC CPUs—code named Rome—doubles the performance and cuts the power consumption of its first generation of server chips—code named Naples. The new processors offer more than 50% better performance and up to 40% lower costs than Intel's latest Cascade Lake CPUs, AMD said. That reduces costs for cloud and enterprise customers deploying the chips in data centers by 25% to 50%. "

Here's the article;

Ask a Question