Intel CPU Bug (Meltdown and Spectre)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've downloaded the Windows patch, KB4056892, on 06-01-2018 and all seems well.

Does this give total protection from the problem or is it only partial cover? Or no cover at all? :D

Not yet, but its a start.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I've downloaded the Windows patch, KB4056892, on 06-01-2018 and all seems well.

Does this give total protection from the problem or is it only partial cover? Or no cover at all? :D

I highly recommend you use THIS to be protected. :)

or, disconnect from the tinternet. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks, Mucks. It just about stretches over the PC. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

“InSpectre” is an easy to use & understand utility designed to clarify the many overlapping and confusing aspects of any Windows system's ability to prevent the Meltdown and Spectre attacks.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
https://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html?m=1

Did you think Meltdown was bad? Unprivileged applications being able to read kernel memory at speeds possibly as high as megabytes per second was not a good thing.

Meet the Windows 7 Meltdown patch from January. It stopped Meltdown but opened up a vulnerability way worse ... It allowed any process to read the complete memory contents at gigabytes per second, oh - it was possible to write to arbitrary memory as well.

No fancy exploits were needed. Windows 7 already did the hard work of mapping in the required memory into every running process. Exploitation was just a matter of read and write to already mapped in-process virtual memory. No fancy APIs or syscalls required - just standard read and write!

Oh dear.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Eek, that's pretty terrible :eek:

Good reason to upgrade to Windows 10 (not that this restores any faith in Microsoft). Funny, I still think of Windows 7 as being relatively new, but it's nearly 9 years old!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
What I do not understand is what do the people who do things like hacking, spyware etc, etc get out of this are they doing this because they can or what, I cannot understand why any would write spyware, viruses etc. Am I missing something or are they just sick.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What I do not understand is what do the people who do things like hacking, spyware etc, etc get out of this are they doing this because they can or what, I cannot understand why any would write spyware, viruses etc. Am I missing something or are they just sick.

I bet most of them do it as a technical challenge or in some cases for extortion, etc... Thankfully most of these vulnerabilities are found by people paid to find holes like this and they're sorted before exploitation.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
The best solution is to dump Microcrap and use a Linux distro:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jiFfM.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Ask a Question