Intel "Devil's Canyon" to Usher in 5 GHz-on-air Overclocking Era

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Even as Intel launched its first Core "Haswell" Refresh socket LGA1150 chips, it left out two enthusiast-grade parts from the mix, the Core i7-4790K and the Core i5-4690K. Don't be misled into thinking that they're just multiplier-unlocked variants of the i7-4790 and i5-4690 launched today. There's a reason the two have be designated a separate internal codename altogether. Called "Devil's Canyon," the chips are made from high-performing dies binned out from the foundry, and placed on extra-durable packages with contact points that are designed for higher voltages, and a superior thermal interface material between the die and the integrated heatspreader (IHS).

Better packaging (mind the pun) isn't the only thing that sets the i7-4790K and the i5-4690K apart form their non-K counterparts, they're are also clocked higher. The i7-4790K ships with an out of the box clock speed of 4.00 GHz (the first Intel processor to do so), with a Turbo Boost frequency of 4.40 GHz. The Core i5-4670K, on the other hand, ships with a clock speed of 3.50 GHz, with Turbo Boost frequency of 3.90 GHz. The TDP of both chips is rated at 88 Watts, a wee bit higher than the 84 Watts the non-K chips are rated at. Expreview believes that the two could usher in a new era in CPU overclocking without breaking the bank over HEDT chips, and could be capable of running at clock speeds of 5.00 GHz, on air-cooling. Intel is expected to launch the two chips to crowds at Computex 2014, followed by a market release in mid-June.

b4t5KrZ.jpg

Boosting to 4.4 out of the box is pretty good tbh.

Source: Techpowerup

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm still using a Socket 1155 board so an upgrade would be quite costly.

If it had been a case of just a new CPU I'd have had some of that but for now, for economic reasons, I'll stick with what I have.

CSB

Reaction score
If money wasn't an issue, I'd grab me one of those systems asap.

I'm still using a 1366 set up but it's still good in my eyes. my brother is in the same boat as you Flops 1155 or 1150 (both the same if I remember after speaking with Graeme at KustomPC. Why is it that there is 1150 and 1155 anyway, so close together.

Saying that, maybe I heard wrong and they are different?

Lets all bumps our CPUs up to 5GHZ just for fun right now. Take off your cooler too and watch that baby burn burn burn lol. I wonder if mine would smell like toast. Get your marshmellows at the ready cos there's going to be flames :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How I understand it is that the CPU architecture is not backwards compatible.

The 1150 is actually getting a little long in the tooth now by CPU standards so I'm surprised Intel released this chip.

I also note in the comments below the article that there's an AMD CPU available that clocks to 5Ghz air cooled. That being so, I have two 3.4Ghz systems here, Intel and AMD both with same amount of RAM and my i7 easily outperforms it's AMD counterpart, doesn't suffer from any quirks and glitches like the AMD setup either. Which is a bit sad cos the AMD chips are cheaper.

Talking of cooling I have my Intel setup in an old Lian Li case with 4 x 80mm fans and it was really noisy. So I've disabled those 4 case fans and now I can hear myself think again, I can actually hear the hard disk(s) whirring quietly away sometimes now.

The penalty for silence? CPU temp has risen from 33C to 39C with other temps corresponding by about the same percentage. Only fans in there now are a pair of 120mm Noctua fans on the CPU cooler and the GPU fan.

The i7 CPU is at stock speed btw, I found the temperature penalty didn't justify the barely noticeable improvement in performance speed when overclocked to 3.8Ghz.

Ask a Question