Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Tech Spot have reviewed the Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon CPU - here's a snippet:

"After last month's underwhelming Haswell refresh, Intel says overclockers can rejoice over the newest revision of its fourth-generation Core processors, codenamed Devil's Canyon, which actually promises a few improvements on the CPU side of things including updated packaging materials, more capacitors for smoother power deliver, as well as a 'Next Generation Polymer Thermal Interface Material' (NGPTIM).

If you recall, Intel moved the voltage regulator on-die with Haswell and this caused problems for overclockers by creating an additional hot spot on the chip. Moreover, the company never changed the thermal interface material (TIM) from Ivy Bridge, which was believed to be a downgrade from Sandy Bridge's and led to Ivy Bridge and Haswell parts to running hotter than older Sandy Bridge ones.

Extra capacitors and a new thermal interface should make Devil's Canyon Intel's best overclocking chips to date -- or at least that's what we hope to see from the flagship Core i7-4790K we have on hand..."

intel-core-i7-cpu-review.jpg

Read their full review here.

Ask a Question