Valve's L4D2 Is Faster On Linux Than Windows

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1MjI
We're already known that Valve Software intends to speak at SIGGRAPH LA 2012 about how they optimized their Linux OpenGL game client -- taking it from just a few frames per second to over 300 FPS. Now on Valve's official Linux blog is a new post this evening about Faster Zombies!.
Using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics card with an Intel Core i7 3930K processor, Windows 7 SP1 was running Left 4 Dead 2 with the Direct3D renderer at 270 FPS while under Linux with OpenGL they are now at 315 FPS! Using the OpenGL renderer on Windows isn't also quite as good with its average frame-rate at around 303 FPS.

Smiley-IPB-400.gif
Suck it up Microsop
Laughing.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Wow 12 frames......

Meh, LFD2 is hardly the most taxing game out there is it now. ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yeah, great, absolutely fabulous ... :rolleyes:
They talk about how their optimizations came down to modifying the game to work better with the Linux kernel, modifying the game to work better with OpenGL, and optimizing the graphics drivers.
so, was that with vsync off and using a 120hz TFT monitor? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lol! i didn't read the article, but that made me laugh, so basically its not the same game that runs on Windows.... :/

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
it's Abarbarian's comment that gets me the most ... why slant MS when it is game manufactures producing games for Windows and not Linux. :rolleyes:

I'm all for competition, but my OS is better than your OS, is, quite frankly, boring these days.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Methinks Abarb should have considered a career in politics as we all know that every gifted politician must possess the knack to present scenarios that will lean in their favour whichever way they require.

Distorted reality, as it were :)

As I keep saying, I'd love games to run on Linux distros (and not just the obligatory Ubuntu) but this a commercial world driven by money and therefore - customer bases. Still, it bodes well but let's not kid ourselves.

Ask a Question