Windows XP Installing problem

Reaction score
When i try to install windows-XP i can get to the screen where in you can now choose to create a partition, but in the screen at the bottom I see:

80317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 atapi

<setup cannot access this disk.>

Before that problem came up, my problem is about the "boot disk failure" then i use my XP cd and try to reinstall windows-XP and now the setup cannot access this disk, can anyone help me about this problem? :cry:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Make sure the disk you want to install to is setup as primary/boot disk in bios, also confirm that the disk is recognised in the bios.

It may also help, if you have more than one hard disk, to temporarily disconnect all except the disk you wish to install to whilst installing XP.

Reaction score
im new in installing, where in the bios can i see that the disk i want to install is recognised? and what do you mean by "to temporarily disconnect all except the disk you wish to install to whilst installing XP."? :confused:

im a newbie :dance:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
try to reinstall windows-XP and now the setup cannot access this disk
strong possibility the hard drive has failed :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Go to the motherboard manufacturers site and find the page for your mobo. You should find information with screenshots of the bios and the various functions they perform. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When you boot the computer hit the del key (or sometimes it's the F2 key) and you will enter the bios. Take a look at the navigation instructions and take a look around.

Don't change anything you don't understand.

You should find a section where the hard disks and optical drives are listed. If not try looking in the boot section where it may list boot devices, including hard disks.

If you have, for instance, three hard disks installed, disconnect (pull either the data leads or power connectors) the two where you don't want Windows. That way Windows will only see the hard disk you want to install Windows to.

Clear as mud eh?

If you still can't install, as Mucks says, it's possible the hard disk has failed. Good luck.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Boot the XP CD (it has to be the correct one. OEM installation needs an OEM installation CD. Retail, Retail CD and so on) Choose the option to boot to recovery console.

When recovery console comes up, it will ask you the disk you wish to access. Typically it is disk 1. Next you will be prompted for password to the administrator account. 3 tries to get it right then system will reboot. If no password, press enter. If you don't know the password, press enter. That's most likely.

Once you get a prompt, type fixmbr and press enter. answer yes and you will again be at a prompt. fixboot won't hurt either. Same steps, prompt, type, enter.

Restart and see if that helps. If you cannot access the disk or get errors, you may have a failed disk. There are ways to test that as well.

You can test the HD using the ultimate boot cd @ http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ This requires knowing the manufacturer of the drive.

Reaction score
If you still can't install, as Mucks says, it's possible the hard disk has failed. Good luck.

i have only one HDD and i listed it as my 1st boot, 2nd CD, 3rd floppy. i can also see at the BIOS that my hard disk is detected.. but still i cant install :cry:

Reaction score
Boot the XP CD (it has to be the correct one. OEM installation needs an OEM installation CD. Retail, Retail CD and so on) Choose the option to boot to recovery console.

When recovery console comes up, it will ask you the disk you wish to access. Typically it is disk 1. Next you will be prompted for password to the administrator account. 3 tries to get it right then system will reboot. If no password, press enter. If you don't know the password, press enter. That's most likely.

Once you get a prompt, type fixmbr and press enter. answer yes and you will again be at a prompt. fixboot won't hurt either. Same steps, prompt, type, enter.

Restart and see if that helps. If you cannot access the disk or get errors, you may have a failed disk. There are ways to test that as well.

You can test the HD using the ultimate boot cd @ http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ This requires knowing the manufacturer of the drive.

thanks, ill also try that one :)

Ask a Question