Windows XP can someone please help me with my compaq 5204 desktop computer?

Reaction score
So I've been trying to install win XP pro for the past day and have no success in doing so. I am able to boot from the disc and install it onto my HD but cannot get to the next step in the installation process. After XP installs, the computer restarts like it's supposed to but when it comes back on I get this message "couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1). What do I do??? Please someone help me with this problem. I been searching on Google for tips but none of them seem to work.. any advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
When you are going through the process of the OS installation, I would recommend deleting all partitions (assuming you don't have any data on the disks you need to save) and creating a new partition to get rid of all left-overs.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you seem to have a drive mismatch from what XP is expecting to see

that PC was originally not designed as a Win XP system

Is this a new, or original hard drive?

need more info on hardware

[edit]found them ... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00013229 [/edit]

try looking on HPs site, you probably need a BIOS update, wasn't unusual ... also check you are using the right IDE cable & jumper settings on the HD.

:user:

Ask a Question