installing an Iomega zip 100 parallel storage drive(Win xp)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Guest, Jan 8, 2006.

    The issue win xp does not detect the drive, how do I manually install the zip
    drive?

    Guest, Jan 8, 2006

    Fred S Guest

    Rickster,

    You need to go to the Iomega site and get the XP drivers for your Zip
    drive. Then WinXP will recognize the drive.

    Fred S, Jan 8, 2006

    I' ve installed the driver ..the OS does not reconize the drive..I'm sure its
    a bios issue or bott issue.
    --
    Rick

    Guest, Jan 8, 2006

    Andy Guest

    Under Printer Port in Device Manager, check if Port Settings support
    Enable Legacy Plug and Play detection.

    Andy, Jan 8, 2006

    Eric P. Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Under Printer Port in Device Manager, check if Port Settings support
    > Enable Legacy Plug and Play detection.
    >
    > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:42:01 -0800, "Rickster"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>The issue win xp does not detect the drive, how do I manually install the zip
    >>drive?

    That's indeed the way to do it.
    You don't need an Iomega driver, at least I never did.
    It's long ago I used the Parallel Zip 100 but I saved below info:

    http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/10127.html

    STEP FOUR - Enable the legacy plug and play in Device Manager

    1. Right-click the My Computer icon and then click Manage.
    Note: In Windows XP, you will need to click Start and then
    right-click the My Computer icon.

    2. Click the plus (+) symbol next to System Tools.

    3. Double-click Device Manager.

    4. Click the plus (+) symbol next to Ports.

    5. Double-click the Printer Port icon.

    6. Click the Port Settings tab.

    7. Within the Filter Resource Method box, click Use any interrupt
    assigned to port.

    8. Click Enable legacy plug and play detection to place a check mark.

    9. Click OK and then close the Computer Management Window.

    10. Restart your computer for changes to take effect.

    11. Double-click the My Computer icon.

    Note: In Windows XP, you will need to click Start and then click
    the My Computer icon.

    If your Zip drive is listed with a drive letter, you are
    now ready to use your drive.

    If your Zip drive is not listed with a drive letter
    assigned, please continue with the next step.

    STEP FIVE - Change the parallel port mode in the computer setup (BIOS)

    Some parallel port mode settings may not allow your Zip drive and
    computer to communicate properly. On most computers, the parallel port
    mode can be changed in the computer setup.

    1. Refer to the documentation that came with your computer or
    contact the computer manufacturer for instructions on accessing your
    computer setup.

    2. Locate the parallel port mode setting.

    3. Set the Parallel port to Enabled.

    4. Set the Mode to EPP or bi-directional. (Maybe ECP ??)

    5. Set the I/O (Input/Output) address to 378.

    6. Set the Interrupt to IRQ 7.

    7. Save changes and exit out of the computer setup.

    8. Restart your computer.

    9. Double-click the My Computer icon to verify there is a Zip drive
    with a letter assigned.

    Eric P., Jan 8, 2006

    Frank Guest

    Rickster wrote:
    > The issue win xp does not detect the drive, how do I manually install
    > the zip drive?

    I don't think that media can even be had for a 100. I have one laying
    here that I could not even find the media for it. Of course I didn't
    try
    very hard.

    Frank, Jan 8, 2006

    Eric P. Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > I don't think that media can even be had for a 100. I have one laying
    > here that I could not even find the media for it. Of course I didn't
    > try
    > very hard.

    I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
    The computer with Windows XP Home I have can use it's built in ZIP 100MB
    ATA/IDE, ZIP 100MB Parallel Port or ZIP 100MB USB if I want.
    It will become more difficult to buy 100MB Zip-disks, but not impossible
    when you go to the right places.
    But maybe you can better spend your energy and money on newer technology.

    Eric P., Jan 8, 2006

    Joule

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2013
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is a very smart and elegant solution. It works perfect for my old Iomega Zip100MB parallel drive. I was able to backup old files stored in the Zip discs (which I almost trashed them today).
    Many thanks, Andy!

    ]

    Joule, Jan 2, 2013

    boidsonly